Tips for Triggering Emails for Testing

• 15 June 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Any suggestions for most effectively and quickly testing email notifications? Right now we just want to test some of the short codes, but will eventually need to trigger all of our notifications. Curious if anyone has any shortcut. 

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @steveninfinger I created a Group called “Notification Testing” and assigned some TEST accounts to it in order to maintain control over who should get the test notifications. To get a quick idea of what each short code outputs, I usually start by copying and pasting them all into the body and then sending it out...One thing you want to be mindful of are your test cases...make sure you can predict the flow in order to generate the email/notification that you want otherwise it can get frustrating…

for example: if you want to generate a Course Enrollment email to a user: 

1. make sure that course is identified in the notification settings +
  2. Users is selected +
  3. your test Group selected

You can also include a power user in your Group when testing if you also want them to receive these however this would require you to use the SAME template but when configuring, you would select Power Users instead if Users...Note that some notifications will require you to select the specific Power User role, not the actual power users so make sure you also have a proper test power user profile you can use to assign to one of your test accounts.

I work on average with about 4-5 test accounts with various configurations to make the testing a little quicker and smoother. Hope this helps...

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I agree with @Irnlab.  The only thing I would add is that we usually use a single Google test account for all of the dummy users so that we only have to check one place when we do testing, but we modify the email addresses for each user with “plus addressing” (or you can use dots).  That way we can have an unlimited number of different accounts where Docebo sees them as different, but emails all flow into the same mailbox.  If you want to get really fancy, you can create separate folders in Gmail for each version of the address.

For instance, these all go to the same gmail account:

nobody@gmail.com

nobody+1@gmail.com

nobody+test1@gmail.com

no.bo.dy@gmail.com

no.bo.dy+100@gmail.com

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Those are both great responses! I appreciate it! The Google accounts are a smart touch.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You can have an unlimited number of test emails using mailinator.com

You simply send a message to anything (at) mailinator.com and then you can access that mailbox from the mailinator site by just entering the name you used, with no password or any need for prior account creation.