Question

Can I put a “close course” button on an HTML page?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I am making a simple reusable “course complete” page. 

If I do this as HTML, can I have a course complete button? (In case users can’t find the close button)

I tested this as a simple rise SCORM but it’s pretty slow to get into. 

Also if possible I would love to insert the user’s first and last names and the course title and course code. 

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @lrodman. I am going to concentrate on your comment about Rise for a second. 

Rise 360 supports an exit course link that can be gotten to with two different methods:

• you can use an interactive button to exit a course.
  • you can have an exit course link always present in the top right hand corner (you see this when you got to export the course.

This is an oldie but goodie…

Beyond that? I dont believe the HTML editor that we can create training material with has a way of doing a “call” to the LMS for a person’s name. Someone school us if I am wrong.

Some extra-credit. If you are still up for solutioning with SCORM and Rise? Then hear this - I know it is doable though via a backend approach of using Storyline and some javascript to call to the LMS for a few variables and getting the detail to a Rise course. Storyline can be uploaded to Review 360 to embed into your Rise course….and voila? You get the person’s name in something for ya

I cant say I love Articulate products - but they really have an active community as well and folks are always coming up with asks and solutions on their site. You just need a dream and some client-side HTML/JS knowledge today….and we can do just about anything.

Good luck - let us know how the project goes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

How about the close-course button in HTML?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

How about the close-course button in HTML?

Let me premise - I may be completely wrong with the following detail…but I am going to try and sound informed.

Hi @lrodman it isnt something that I could see how to pull off with the current tools. And I may be good enough with client side html and the platform enough to say that I dont think you can without doing an embed of another site to support the javascript necessary to trigger that button you desire. Once you are there? You will begin to run into other concerns as you begin to break some rules with cross-server side types of activity - which is a no no.

Closing a window with a browser and a small javascript snippet is not hard. And probably from a SCORM course you can aim to close a modal window.

Can I pass along a word of warning? Trying to trigger a close of the course from outside of the LMS? Asks for a layer that you would have to support - it is also a critical signal for the system to hear to finish off doing what its doing with tracking.

I dont want to sound alarmist to you though. Consider making an HTML page that explicitly tells folks how to close a course (which it looks like you did) When in doubt?

@Adam Ballhaussen ?

@lrnlab ? @alekwo ?

Have you heard of folks attempting (or have you attempted) to close a course with an HTML page from within the course player????

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@lrodman If you use an html page I think it would work if you are putting a link to the homepage (or what ever page you want the user to be directed to once completing a course).  As long as that training material is the last one in the course, it should mark the course complete once it is launched. 

You would need to test to make sure the completion is recorded correctly.

I don’t think there are any short codes that I am aware of, that will put the course name/user’s name into the html training material.

A big note, you mentioned something being re-usable, if you push an html page training material to the central repository to be used in other courses, once a user views that html page in one course, it will be marked as complete in all the other courses the user takes. So you will need to keep that page out of the central repository.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

The requirements here sound exactly what SCORM or xAPI were built for, they can each pull the info you are requesting in and communicate back to complete the course. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It does sound a lot like SCORM. 

What I noticed though is that a lot of “stuff” seems to be getting loaded by the system for a scorm course vs html. Is there any way to author a “super lightweight” scorm of minimal file size? xAPI is fine with me too. I’ve attached the “scorm” I made for this (rise quickie)

How do I insert “coursename” or “firstname lastname” into a scorm?

Thanks y’all you’re the best!