Question

Do you use the Central Repository much ?

• 28 January 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi all,

I guess the question is if 99% of my training materials each belong in one course, should I put them in the Central Repository ?

We have very few materials that go into more than one course - and where we do we would want the material marked complete in both courses if they were completed in one or other, so I can see the benefits as listed here and discussed in a previous thread below. What's your take ?

• Manage all training material in a centralized library
  • Avoid duplicated content
  • Update training material easily at once for all courses
  • Track training material in the same report, regardless of the courses where it is placed.

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

We use the Central repository for modules that need to be used in multiple courses - like logins for our demo platform that people need as they complete exercises. We also use it for LinkedIn Learning content or other external content that needs to be utilised in different learning plans for different role onboarding paths.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

thanks @mwd , your use case seems identical to ours. I was wondering if we should put all training material in the central repository to leverage the versioning feature, or is that just an extra level we don’t need ? I can’t decide..

Userlevel 5
Badge

We haven’t just because we don’t really share a huge amount of content across different courses…..yet. 

Userlevel 3

We do quite a bit! There are certain materials we use for all of our courses, especially live ones, that are more “foundational” in nature.

For example:

• How to prepare for your live course (WebEx tests)
  • Preparing for your training course
  • Product navigation (when multiple courses use the same software product)

We use ILTs as our “flagship” courses, which include self-directed learning (via SCORMS/Videos), live instruction, downloadable support materials, and post-instruction knowledge checks.

It helps our team maintain updates to the content that applies to all of these courses by placing them in the central repository. 

The SCORM enhancement to ILTs this month is huge for us.

Userlevel 6

I understand not having the same materials in courses, but if you ever have a user that needs to complete that course again (perhaps annually), you will run into the issue of that Learning Object already being completed.

CLOR is great, but until Retaining has launched we need to be able to duplicate Learning Objects in the CLOR for these situations. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

We only use the CLOR and try to avoid training materials being pushed in by PUs at the Course Management level. We are trying a hybrid decentralized model. Content is funneled to a group that moves it into the CLOR, gives it an enterprise code and does a light technical and corporate style QA.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

By the way? My greatest fear is the migration of content and teams supporting pushing content into the system. Walking course by course to extract out content when we need to migrate “tomorrow” may not seem daunting for yawl. But? Try it when your organization has a few hundred….heck a few thousand courses. You will really need everything in one place to get to training materials.

By forcing folks through our funnel? We get a copy of the course for free. We maintain it somewheres outside of Docebo being strongly ready for “tomorrow”.