Content Management

How to Reissue an Updated Certificate

Userlevel 7
Badge

Certificates are a fantastic way to provide learners with a document certifying that they completed a training or certification.

These certificates can show all kinds of user data through the use of shortcodes. Sometimes, however, the information these shortcodes gather isn’t available or is updated later. In these instances, learners may contact Superadmins to ask about old certificates and why they don’t show the new information.

Because certificates are PDFs that issue at the moment of course or Learning Plan completion, they need to be reissued to reflect updated user information.

Here’s how you can do this with just a few easy clicks!

1. Navigate to Certificate Template under Admin Menu > Settings

2. Locate the certificate and click the Issued Certificates icon →  issued certificates icon

1. For “Issued certificates for”, select either Course or Learning Plan.

1. Select the Course or Learning Plan in the dropdown.

1. Search for the username of the user whose certificate you wish to reissue.

1. Select that user, then On Selected choose the Delete all the issued certificates option. This will delete the user’s issued certificate.

1. Select that user again, then On Selected choose the Issue certificate option. This will reissue the certificate with current values for any shortcodes.

Congratulations! If you followed the steps above, you’ve successfully reissued an updated certificate for a user.

Thanks to your efforts, the learner who received this certificate can find their updated certificate in two areas. Here’s where you can direct them to download their new certificate.

How to Download a Certificate From a Course

The first place a learner can view their certificate is directly within the course. This will appear to the right of the course player as a Download Your Certificate button which will allow the learner to download their certificate.

How to Download a Certificate From My Activities

The second place a learner can view their certificate is on the My Activities page. If you have the My Activities page available in your learner’s menu, they can use this page to view their certificates. Here’s how.

1. Navigate to the My Activities page via the user menu.

1. Select the Courses tab.

1. From there, they can located the course and download their certificate by clicking on the certificate icon next to the course.

If you’d like to read more about certificates, why don’t you visit our Knowledge Base at Docebo Help? Here’s a great article to start with: Creating and Managing Certificates

Have you had users reach out to you about updating certificates? Let the community know how you use and manage certificates below!

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Nice useful tutorial!

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Thanks for sharing, this should prove useful.

Userlevel 4

Is there a good primer on customizing certs? I looked at the help file and took a stab, but it didn’t seem intuitive at all. I’m interested in some hacks, templates, or more detailed how to.

Userlevel 7
Badge

Is there a good primer on customizing certs? I looked at the help file and took a stab, but it didn’t seem intuitive at all. I’m interested in some hacks, templates, or more detailed how to.

That’s a great question! I’ll take note of it, as I imagine others may be interested in a guide or course that goes over designing certificates.

In the meantime, our Knowledge Base does have some information that can be helpful for designing certificates. Our “Creating and Managing Certificates” article covers minimum suggested image sizes and recommends tricks such as using a table to design your certificate.

This thread may also be useful to you: 

Thank you for letting us know the type of content you’re interested in seeing more of! If you have any more suggestions for content that would be helpful to you, those types of posts currently live in our Feedback & Requests category. Feel free to post there! We’d love to hear about it. 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@keiishida and @elliott.vickrey 

The following post is also very helpful and would form a great basis for an official guide.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Is there a way to bulk-reissue?

Userlevel 3

@lrodman I posted this as an idea a while back and it’s currently marked as parked. I encourage everyone in this thread to vote on it as I’ve had to do it page-by-page multiple times and it’s always a pain!!

Some learning I’ve had is that when you select all and delete, you should stay on the page until that’s done, but when you select the page and reissue, you can move immediately to the next page without waiting for it to finish processing. It will keep going and if you check back later it will have finished. This is really helpful when there’s hundreds of pages to go through, for each course the certificate is assigned to… :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Whaaat that needs votes

Don’t forget to like and subscribe y’all!

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

I must be missing something here.  Are we really saying that for someone to get an up to date certificate for a course they have retaken, we (the superadmins) have to manually re-issue, and there is no way to do this for everyone?

We have 5 mandatory courses that people have to refresh every 2 years.  I cannot believe that for them to get an up to date certificate this is something we have to manually do?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I must be missing something here.  Are we really saying that for someone to get an up to date certificate for a course they have retaken, we (the superadmins) have to manually re-issue, and there is no way to do this for everyone?

We have 5 mandatory courses that people have to refresh every 2 years.  I cannot believe that for them to get an up to date certificate this is something we have to manually do?

Well to some extent you’re conflating certificates and retrainings, but basically, yes. 

we have a similar use case and here is what we do:

since Docebo only stores one completion per course, for our course we just make a course copy each calendar year, change the year name in the course title, then track completions and expirations in salesforce. That way I can see the actual completion dates and certificates work right. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

I’m conflating them because the 2 things should go hand in hand.  You do a course (no matter how many times) and you would expect to get an up to date certificate.

The way refresher training works in Docebo works to a point for us.  Creating multiple courses is a work around that shouldn't be be necessary.   Some very simple things should work here:

• people should be able to complete any course as many times as they want
  • Renewable training should be renewable direct form the course page (and not from a completely separate page)
  • The LMS should record the latest date of when someone has done a course (and update the certificate accordingly)
  • It should keep a log of every time someone has completed a course (for those who require a history)

Any workarounds to this just means the LMS is not doing the basics.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I’m conflating them because the 2 things should go hand in hand.  You do a course (no matter how many times) and you would expect to get an up to date certificate.

• Renewable training should be renewable direct form the course page (and not from a completely separate page)

1000% agree just making sure we’re on the same page.

For us the renewable training requiring a bunch of user actions (your bullet point) was the nail in the coffin that drove us away from retrainings (we removed the word certifications from certifications and retrainings since it is easily confused with certificates - or what we call certifications, which are actually just renamed learning plans).

Userlevel 3

This is great - except you cannot “SELECT ALL” when removing and reissuing a certificate, so I have a course with over 700 people I need to remove and reissue certs for, which in turn means I have to do the steps above 7 times, which is fairly inefficient. Curious why a newly assigned cert wouldn’t just apply to all? Makes little sense.  We have had a change in management and all that is different in the new cert is the signature line, but I am spending hours updating existing certs required for audit compliance. A task that should really only take 5 min - swapping out the certificate BG.

Userlevel 3
Badge

This is becoming a huge issue for us. Our certificate template is not updating with the [certificate_expiration_date] so our only solution is to delete the already created certificate and reissue them. But there’s a huge problem

As @rmccormick  has mentioned the SELECT ALL only selects all on the same page, and we have 20+ courses that have certificates each one with 30+ pages that I would need to select all on. The select all doesn’t truly select all, it only selects all visible. 

We work in construction and need to have our users up to date with certifications and this is really a big headache. How do I vote for this ?

Userlevel 3
Badge

The way refresher training works in Docebo works to a point for us.  Creating multiple courses is a work around that shouldn't be be necessary.   Some very simple things should work here:

• The LMS should record the latest date of when someone has done a course (and update the certificate accordingly)
  • It should keep a log of every time someone has completed a course (for those who require a history)

YES, agreed on all bullet points. This is something that should be simple and part of an LMS. 

Userlevel 3

YES, agreed on all bullet points. This is something that should be simple and part of an LMS. 

There is an idea that is parked/closed.  I just upvoted and commented on it. Hard to understand why Select all on the rest of the site actually selects all, but it doesn’t in the certs area. 

Userlevel 3

There is an idea that is parked/closed.  I just upvoted and commented on it. Hard to understand why Select all on the rest of the site actually selects all, but it doesn’t in the certs area. 

Also, I agree with all points and what you have in bold. So many things that should be standard/common sense are not. We are having same struggles with not being able to take a training more than once. I recommend adding your feedback here, as the proposed way of Docebo handling this (admins having to archive completions so a user can enroll again), is yet another instance of an “enhancement” creating more work for the admins.  Why do you have to archive a completion to retake a course or a session?  Learners want to retake content and receive credit for it- it’s not far-fetched.