Assigning Power Users a Custom Catalog Resource

Userlevel 2
Badge

We are looking to assign Power Users a custom selected course catalog as a resource to enable them to enroll users in only the courses associated with that catalog.  It doesn’t appear this is currently possible?  

You can assign a catalog as a resource, but it doesn’t display those courses under “Course Management” for the power user to then enroll users in.

You can assign “All Courses and Learning Plans in Visible Catalogs”, but this then gives them the ability to enroll users in any courses associated with any catalog they have visibility into as a user which gives them access to enroll users in additional courses out of scope if our use case.  

We only want them to be able to enroll users in the courses from a specific catalog.  The “Custom Selection” Courses & Learning Plans option allows you to select specific courses, learning plans, or categories, but NOT select catalogs.  

USE CASE: Ideally if we can give multiple power users access to a specific catalog we can then simply manage a single catalog to control the courses the power users are able to enroll users in over time.  This prevents us from having to manually manage the changing course resources under multiple power users.

WORKAROUND: A work around I found was you can manage custom selected learning plans as a resource.  When viewing “Course Management” as a Power User you’re displayed the individual courses within the learning plan which achieves our goal.  We don’t give the power users access to Learning Plans so that prevents them from enrolling users in the learning plan (which is good for our use case).  I now just have to ensure there isn’t any unforeseen negative impact I’m missing.  

Curious if others have a similar use case and how they’ve handled it.  Maybe the ability to custom select a catalog would be a good Idea?

19 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Diving deeper into our use case we actually want the same Power User to have different course resources for enrollments vs. reporting.  

For example: 

In Q4 they need to be able to enroll users in courses 1, 2, and 3 as well as report on courses 1, 2, and 3.  

In Q1 they should no longer be able to enroll users in the past courses 1, 2, 3, but now instead new courses A, B, and C.  For reporting however, they need to be able to report on both past and new courses 1, 2, 3, A, B, and C.  

It looks like you can only assign one set of resources per power user.  It would be cool if you could assign resources based on the user and profile.  

For example:

Power User Dave - Enrollment Profile - Course Resources = 1, 2, 3

Power User Dave - Reporting Profile - Course Resources = 1, 2, 3, A, B, C

Question:

How do you manage different resources for the same Power User for different permissions?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @dave.cerrone did you add the custom catalogue to the PU resources for that PU? That should curb the access to only the courses in that catalogue.

If your PU cannot see the courses under Course Mgmt, make sure to grant them “View” access under the role permissions.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@lrnlab I did.  I ensured I assigned the catalog to the power user as well.

It doesn’t display the courses in the catalog under Course Management:

NOTE: If I assign individual courses, learning plans, or use the custom selection “All Courses and Learning Plans in Visible Catalogs” option the courses display as expected under Course Management.  Maybe this is a bug or a misconfiguration on my end?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Did you try adding that PU’s username directly to the Catalogue? that part is always a bit confusing. 

And did you give the PU profile assigned to this user the ability to “View” courses?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yes and yes!  I thought maybe the “Catalogs” resource provides PUs with access to manage the catalog itself (with the proper permissions), and maybe NOT used to provide the PU with access to the courses contained within that catalog. This would explain why I don’t see the course within the catalog under Course Management. I’m thinking the “Courses & Learning Plans” resource is what controls the courses displayed under Course Management.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

did that solve it?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Unfortunately no 😔.  To confirm we’re talking about the same thing, you are able to successfully populate the “Courses Management” section with courses from a single course catalog for a Power User using the “Catalogs” resource type?  I cannot get it to work.  I can populate in a number of different ways, just NOT using the “Catalogs” resource type. 

Userlevel 1

I have the EXATCT same problem. SO confusing!! 

If I grant them access to everything visible, they see even courses under maintenance that is not yet released and also courses that are restricted that they should pay extra for, but can sidecurve using the PU ability to enroll users. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Unfortunately no 😔.  To confirm we’re talking about the same thing, you are able to successfully populate the “Courses Management” section with courses from a single course catalog for a Power User using the “Catalogs” resource type?  I cannot get it to work.  I can populate in a number of different ways, just NOT using the “Catalogs” resource type. 

correct.

Can you show me the PU profile permissions? maybe something is missing there...

Userlevel 2
Badge

@lrnlab here are the permissions:

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @dave.cerrone that seems right...now on the Resources tabs for each PU, have you added the catalogue(s) the courses you want them to see + given them access to “View all courses & LP in visible catalogues”? Looking at your pic above,  you don't have that enabled

Userlevel 2
Badge

@lrnlab “View all courses & LP in visible catalogues” works, but that’s not what I want to do.  I only want to provide visibility to a single specified catalog. We are trying to allow the enrollment of only certain courses managed within a catalog. If you use the “View all courses & LP in visible catalogues” they can enroll users in all courses from all their visible catalogs. This gives access to enroll a wider scope of courses than we want them to have.  That option is managed under the “Courses & Learning Plans” resource type though correct, not the “Catalogs” resource type?  

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

right but the 2 go together...if you want the PU to see only what’s the catalogue they are assigned, you also need to add this. It only applies to those catalogues you assign under the catalogue tab of the PU resources.

Userlevel 2
Badge

It’s not working that way for me.

One additional clarification is that the PUs are also Learners.  So they have visibility into a number of catalogs as a Learner.  As soon as I select “All in visible catalogs” ALL courses from all their catalogs display under “Course Management”.  Even adding the single specific catalog to the “Catalogs” resource type doesn’t limit that.

The “Catalogs” resource type appears to be to give PUs access to course catalogs if you were to give them catalog permissions which we are not.  It appears to be completely unrelated to the courses displayed under the Courses Management permission.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Ok that was the missing piece. We dropped that option a while ago and create dedicated admin profiles. We do not grant PU permissions to those who are also learners for just that reason. 

is that something you can try?

Userlevel 2
Badge

For our potential use case we wouldn’t want the users to have to manage multiple accounts depending their task (learner vs. admin).  It looks like I can use a Learning Plan to achieve what we are trying to do instead of a course catalog.  

A cool “idea” would be in include the custom selection of a course catalog as part of the “Courses & Learning” plans resource type.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@lrnlab a second question I posed in this post that I believe got lost is below.  Would you have any insights on how to best manage this?

Diving deeper into our use case we actually want the same Power User to have different course resources for enrollments vs. reporting.  

For example: 

In Q4 they need to be able to enroll users in courses 1, 2, and 3 as well as report on courses 1, 2, and 3.  

In Q1 they should no longer be able to enroll users in the past courses 1, 2, 3, but now instead new courses A, B, and C.  For reporting however, they need to be able to report on both past and new courses 1, 2, 3, A, B, and C.  

It looks like you can only assign one set of resources per power user.  It would be cool if you could assign resources based on the user and profile.  

For example:

Power User Dave - Enrollment Profile - Course Resources = 1, 2, 3

Power User Dave - Reporting Profile - Course Resources = 1, 2, 3, A, B, C

Question:

How do you manage different resources for the same Power User for different permissions?

OR

Is there a course configuration or setting that allows you to continue reporting on a course, but no enroll users into it?

Userlevel 2
Badge

The second part is different enough that I created a separate post for it here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I do this a different way. 

I give all power users a branch, a catalog, a channel (for assets) and a category. 

This was the only way (category AND catalog) I could get it to work. 

The downside is I have to make all those and link them by hand.