Question

Finding the ID of drop down items (additional_fields) when batch import external training records

• 4 October 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello, 

I’m using the API: POST/learn/v1/external_training/batch to import a high volume of External Training records. The reason I’m using the API it’s because it allows me to import the value to any additional fields we created (e.g.: hours, minutes spent on the activity). 

the parameter additiona_field has to be given as a key : value list using the ID of the additional field and the ID of the drop down item as the value. I’m having trouble finding the latter when inspecting the form.

Has anybody figured out a way to locate the above?

Thanks,

Gigi

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I usually just use a GET /manage/v1/user/{user_id} with a test user and just cycle through the values to make a cheat lookup table for myself.

This worked for me

Userlevel 5
Badge

I usually just use a GET /manage/v1/user/{user_id} with a test user and just cycle through the values to make a cheat lookup table for myself.

That we have to play games and manipulate the system to create our own “cheat sheets” for something as fundamental as field mapping and valid values really frustrates me!  😫

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I hear you,  but at the same time the API is designed to be doing these kinds of things programmatically so to call the details to then use elsewhere is pretty common. 

Userlevel 5
Badge

I’m just used to dealing with systems that have an accessible and accurate data dictionary.  :-(  Thanks for the help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I’m just used to dealing with systems that have an accessible and accurate data dictionary.  :-(  Thanks for the help!

Yup, would be great, I seem to remember there was an idea for it that got closed. I guess I’ve never had a dictionary for an LMS before so just used to using the api to make one, would be nice though.