Question

Power Users Evaluate option on Assignments for specific courses

Userlevel 4
Badge

General question - what is the point of having the “Course > Evaluate” option in Power Users permissions if they PU can’t actually evaluate or see any assignments that are uploaded by their users?

I am running into an issue where I need Managers and Team Leads (given Power User permissions) to be able to evaluate learner’s assignments, for a couple reasons.

1. This is an accountability process for us - we want to hold the TLs and Managers accountable for approving their team’s assignments.
  2. Removes the overhead of another team (my team) from having to manage this.

Right now, according to this article, only “Instructors and SuperAdmins” can evaluate assignments. The problem with this is, Instructors gives the Manager/TL too much visibility, beyond their team and instead EVERYONE enrolled into the course. Obviously SuperAdmin is out of the question. On top of that, they have way to much access as an Instructor. Linking this thread for visibility: Big Bug with Courses/Power User/Instructor permissions | Community (docebo.com)

IMO, one of these things needs to happen:

1. Create a new enrollment level between Tutor & Instructor - the Evaluator, giving them the ability to evaluate assignments for individuals assigned to them via groups/PU assigned users/groups, plus other Tutor permissions.
  2. Change the PU profile permission to allow evaluation assignments within courses.
  3. Have a field in the Course Properties that allows you to assign specific PU Profiles to evaluate assignments for their managed users.

To hold on to our accountability process, we’ll have to temporarily promote TLs/Managers to Instructor so they can evaluate and then demote back to Learner afterwards.

9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Update to this thread, did some additional digging and found this: complete list of the permissions available for the configuration of Power User profiles (docebo.com)

In there, it says in order for a PU to evaluate assignments, they need Edit permission on Reports, but also “View and Edit” on courses.

This might work, but the requirement for “Edit” courses is not acceptable.

Still pushing for more granular permission for giving specific PU profiles access to evaluate content on specific courses.

Agree with @dhall. Assignments is something our company would love to add to our workflows but we have to be careful with the level of access our power users are granted.

If they were able to only view the course’s reports tab to evaluate assignments we’d be able to leverage assignments for our learners.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Greetings, I am trying to test this capability and I cannot get it to work. The Line Manager (a PU profile) has View, Edit and Evaluation permissions for Courses, and View, Edit permissions for Reports. 

But when I login as that user I still do not see the Learner Assignments tab under Course > Reports.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Greetings, I am trying to test this capability and I cannot get it to work. The Line Manager (a PU profile) has View, Edit and Evaluation permissions for Courses, and View, Edit permissions for Reports. 

But when I login as that user I still do not see the Learner Assignments tab under Course > Reports.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Never mind, I had to sign out as that user to get it to work. ;)

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hey @dwilburn , clarifying question for ya. Does the Line Manager account have visibility to the users in question?

I run into that all the time where the group of users the specific Power User is supposed to have visibility on, it was never added to their PU Profile.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@dhall Yes they do. Good question. While impersonating the user I had switched back to my SuperA account thinking that “logged” the user out so changes in the PU profile would take effect. But it did not. I had to sign out while impersonating the user. Then I logged back in and impersonated the user again and I saw the changes. 

So I know I can make it work now. But I am still concerned about letting a manager have edit permissions for the course.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

But it looks like it may still work with Course = View/Evaluate and Report = Edit.

Userlevel 4
Badge

If that’s true, that would be amazing, especially so I don’t have to give them Instructor on the course. 
I’ll test it out and see what comes of it. Thanks for sharing!

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@dhall I have confirmed access to Learner Assignments for the PU Profile. I am still investigating the rest of the process.