Question

Updating training material version for recompletion

• 30 October 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

We have a situation where we have a core course where there are lots of people who will have completed the training materials within it. We then have an update to one of the training materials, which everyone who has done the training material previously will need to redo! 

We had thought that maybe the new archive enrolment feature might have been our saving grace, but this either deletes the tracking of the previous versions (which we need to keep from an audit perspective) or if you turn the function off to delete tracking and re-enrol, they just stay as completed on that training material.

Does anyone have any bright ideas that might help us with this at all? 

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

you can unpublished the old learning object and add the new...the only thing is, users may not know about this since the course remains in a Completed state. There is no notification to alert users that have a new object to complete so you're best bet would be to use the “Send email” option from within the course to let them know they have some thing to complete.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@LauraHelena We take a slightly different approach that might work for you.

When we have a new version of a training material, I use the Central Repository to upload it and assign it to the existing course in the LP. This get anyone who enrolls in the LP going forward the newest material.

THEN, I also create a 2nd course shell as an “upskilling” course, and add in the new version from the Central Repository. I may/may not enroll learners who completed the original/older versions of the training materials into this course so I can report on them as assure that they get their upskilling.

Then going forward, if there are ever any additional updates to the training material, I can upload to the Central Repository, shampoo rinse repeat.

This approach deals with persons who have already completed the learning plan without changing any enrollment data. I’ve used the approach for about 5 years now and find it acceptable for our needs.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@KMallette yes, we had that idea too and might try it! The only thing we were worried about is the reporting of it. We need to be able to report on which version people have read and thought that using the versioning in the central repository would work best for that, but we then get the issue I outlined. How do you deal with reporting on multiple versions? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

We have a situation where we have a core course where there are lots of people who will have completed the training materials within it. We then have an update to one of the training materials, which everyone who has done the training material previously will need to redo! 

We had thought that maybe the new archive enrolment feature might have been our saving grace, but this either deletes the tracking of the previous versions (which we need to keep from an audit perspective) or if you turn the function off to delete tracking and re-enrol, they just stay as completed on that training material.

Does anyone have any bright ideas that might help us with this at all? 

Hi Laura - You can pull a Users - Training Material report before doing the archiving so you have a completion record of materials in the course, then after re-assigning the course, you can pull Users - Courses report, include ‘Active Enrollments’ in ‘Enrollment Types’, so you can see all status of course enrollments.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@KMallette yes, we had that idea too and might try it! The only thing we were worried about is the reporting of it. We need to be able to report on which version people have read and thought that using the versioning in the central repository would work best for that, but we then get the issue I outlined. How do you deal with reporting on multiple versions? 

Hi, @LauraHelena Fortunately, we haven’t had to deal with knowing which SCORM version (like from the Repository) they’ve completed. That may very well be a consideration in the near future as we try to build our our KPI dashboards.

For right now, I have been marking the course shells with things like “upskilling” or with the course code to make slight difference between the LP version and the upskilling. Then, including the course code or course title in the reports gives me a way to sort the data. Sometimes I only receive requests to report on the upskilling, as content in our LPs usually is more like new hire/basic certification, and so we think of those learners predominately in that light.