Chaining LP's - is there a better way?

• 20 September 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge
  • Helper I
  • 77 replies

I seek advice from the hive mind to see if there is a ‘better way’.

So, we have a bunch of LP’s. A bunch of users that have additional fields on them. We want different users to go through the LP’s in a different order based on their additional fields.

Whilst the navigation is linear for each user, the order of that linear navigation is different for each, based on the additional field. We do not want the users being enrolled on the next LP until the current one is complete.

e.g.

User with Additional field value of XYZ will do LP2 > LP3 > LP1

User with additional field value of ABC will do LP1 > LP3 > LP4

User with additional field value of MNP will do LP5 > LP1 > LP2

The only way I can think of doing it is to have a group set up for every combination of LP and additional field value based on enrolment status, that then enrols them via an auto enrolment rule to the relevant next LP.

Anyone else have any bright ideas to make this simpler? as we’re going to have an awful lot of groups and enrolment rules if not!

Thank you for your hive mind in advance.

Marion

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hmm, it seems like the only way using built in methods that I can think of too. The only other methods I was thinking about run into lock issues in other orders unfortunately.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

HI @Maz 

Ok - to make this simpler - it may take a type of wicked turn, but may be doable with your scenario. If you are doing LPs? Consider using just the last course’s enrollment status to pass you to the next LP. That way? You won’t need to “listen” for an entire chain of possible enrollment statuses if you are leveraging pre reqs. That should cut down the iterations of user additional fields + enrollment completions.

Here is the downside - those “trigger courses”? Could cause problems for you in the long run IF they are in open catalogs that people can self-enroll in or can be found in the search.

A question - do you have to absolutely use LPs? LPs create certain challenges when you leverage validity if you are daisy chaining from one to the next...and an entire curriculum can be locked down in the wake of a person passing from one LP to the next...consider a guide written up by @pmo to “gate” one experience to the next with catalog widgets on pages that help to mimic being passed from one level of the curriculum to the next. A single catalog widget can also be taken pretty far in terms of experience….you can assign groups to specific catalogs mimicking a “learning path”.

I wish you luck with this...let us know what direction you go.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Thank you both for your input. @dklinger sadly LPs are needed as we require them to do courses in a specific order on a particular subject. Having read through that very helpful guide, they also use groups to trigger things, just use menus instead of enrolment rules. Although it has given me some ideas to streamline our onboarding experience - so that’s a plus!

Looks like we’ll be going with groups and LPs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

The trigger courses route is how I usually go too but I feel like it will cause potential issues here because of the different patterns needed ie course A sometimes has to unlock LP 2 and sometimes LP 4, causing issues sadly. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Only because @Bfarkas and I are racing on the leaderboards….not really - Brian is wrecking me - do you mind me asking if you can support marking my note to you as the best answer please?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Wow :) I see how it is...

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

🤣