Best Answer

Is there a way to combine enrollment notifications generated by separate enrollment rules?

Userlevel 4
Badge

At my institution, new hire employees receive several training assignments based on their role.  Someone else set up the original enrollment rules and notifications, and I inherited the ongoing maintenance.  I was recently horrified to learn that new employees may receive up to 5 digest notifications on their first day!  Does anyone have any tips for how I can combine those down to a single email that lists all of the courses assigned that day?

If it helps, one enrollment rule assigns all of the core trainings that are required for everyone and there are 4 more rules that assign a single course each based on the individual’s role (different criteria used for each).  The same notification template is associated with all 5 enrollment rules. The event trigger for the notification is “Digest: user enrolled to a course.”

icon

Best answer by Adam Ballhaussen 20 May 2022, 12:22

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Aye yay yay. #hotmess...and what I am trying to avoid. So I should preface to say I am truly a novice with messaging but I havent bombarded people yet and I want to learn from this thread. Deploying many messages to people is a type of recurring nightmare I have that I want to always actively avoid.

The strength of the digest is that it can send to the person in a single email that they were enrolled in these courses.

If there scopes are not overlapping (by overlap I mean groups and courses assigned to the same message)? I believe you run into what you are running into.

So a few questions come to mind:

• If you use one digest notification to do all 5 - and use the short codes to deploy the note - will that work for you?
  • Or does each course enrollment rule need to send a specific message about that particular course?
Userlevel 7
Badge +7

So everyone is in “the core”. Each person that receives the separate flavor course….should also be in the core….so there should be the overlap…

Userlevel 4
Badge

The problem is that as each enrollment rule runs, it fires off a notification email that lists all of the courses included in that particular rule. I’m trying to figure out if there is a way to trigger a digest email that runs after all of the enrollment rules are done. 

I’m testing the possibility of using an automated “Digest:  Learner has not completed course” notification (set to only include specific new hire courses) that runs 1 hour after the event.  

Userlevel 4

I set my new hire notifications (mostly for compliance) to run more as reminders after the enrollment rule runs. For instance, people can be in my system up to two weeks before they start so I set an email notifcation (Learner has yet to complete course) 12 days from the enrollment so they receive an email in their first week as a reminder if they haven’t done their compliance. 

Let me know if you need more details! Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

I set my new hire notifications (mostly for compliance) to run more as reminders after the enrollment rule runs. For instance, people can be in my system up to two weeks before they start so I set an email notifcation (Learner has yet to complete course) 12 days from the enrollment so they receive an email in their first week as a reminder if they haven’t done their compliance. 

Let me know if you need more details! Hope this helps. 

Are you running multiple enrollment rules?  I was thinking along those lines, but didn’t have any luck when testing.  I used the “Learner has yet to complete course” and scheduled it for 1 hour after the event.  I still received multiple emails. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

@Adam Ballhaussen   Do you have any suggestions?

Userlevel 4

I combine many of my enrollment rules into one. I would consider including multiple courses into one notification as a workaround too. So they get just one for all those courses (if applicable)

Userlevel 4

You could also add something to the core enrollment notification along the lines “You may be enrolled in more courses based on your role.” And then list out steps are where they can then find those courses. 

Userlevel 4

THEN You could do a delayed  ‘Learner has yet to complete course’ notification for those more specific ones that then add a reminder to complete

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @jdclark2, I’m happy to help here. The tips that @dklinger and @dandrews have shared are all very helpful.

One important point of clarification that might help is that you don’t have to activate specific digest notifications for each of your enrollment rules. Doing so is entirely optional.

Assigning a specific notification to your enrollment rules will cause learners to be notified immediately when the Enrollment Rule triggers. This is why you have to enable the Send immediate notification digest on massive enrollment action option to leverage digest notifications for Enrollment Rules, as explained in this section of the Activating and Managing the Enrollment Rules App knowledge article.

Recommendation

To avoid sending duplicate notifications to your learners, then I recommend that you unassign all digest notifications from the enrollment rules in your platform (if you have no other need for the Send immediate notification digest on massive enrollment action option, then you could simply disable that directly via the Advanced Settings).

Then, make sure that you have a single Digest: user enrolled in a course notification activated and that at least all of the following are true:

• All of your new hire users are set to receive this notification
  • All of the courses/learning plans for your new hires are added to the digest notification
  • The notification is scheduled at the appropriate cadence (hourly/daily/weekly/monthly)

This should ensure that your learners only receive one digest notification that summarizes all of the courses they’ve been enrolled in at whatever frequency you prefer. To learn more about how digest notifications work, I suggest checking out the following guide created by our very own @roberto.moscatelli 

Please let me know if you have any further questions!

Userlevel 4
Badge

@Adam Ballhaussen    Thank you so much!  Changing that option in Advanced Settings was the step that I was missing.  I just ran a test and it worked perfectly!  

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@jdclark2 brilliant. I’m so happy I could help!