Best Answer

How can you include commas in the answer key?

Badge

I am creating a test question, and the answer to a question includes a comma (“,”). But no matter how I tried to include that in the answer key, the platform will identify the comma as a separator and separate the answers. This has causing bugs as users’ correct answer can’t match the answer key. Can anyone help? Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Bfarkas 4 January 2023, 21:34

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

What kind of question are you seeing this on? Just tried on a mulitple choice and works fine:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

If you’re doing a fill in the blank or something like that - perhaps you could find a way to simply re-imagine the question as a typical A, B, C, or D - single choice type.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

LOL - @Bfarkas - I started to respond and my phone rang - came back to finish typing and so we have crossed paths. I would not have otherwise posted if I saw yours ahead of time.

Badge

The type of answer I’m trying to set is “Fill in the blank”. The answer was cut as soon as I hit comma. E.g. If my answer is “*,foo”, it became “*” and “foo” when I try to include the comma. It works when the question is multiple choice. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

LOL - @Bfarkas - I started to respond and my phone rang - came back to finish typing and so we have crossed paths. I would not have otherwise posted if I saw yours ahead of time.

Happens all the time, all good :)

I open multiple tabs and then go through for answers and so inherently will have 10 min go by and naturally happens, I try to remember to hit refresh on each but always forget…

Badge

@gstager I’m working the the fill in the blank question. I guess changing the type of the question is the way to go. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

If you don’t type the comma, but paste it in, it stays:

So either copy paste the full answer in then hit enter/tab/comma, or just keep a comma on your clipboard and paste in while you type instead of typing it. You just have to avoid hitting the enter, comma, or tab key directly which submits an answer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Here’s a fun thing:

Badge

I tried that. After I save it, it will still be separated by the comma. If you go back to check your answers, you can see the comma is not in the answer but works as the separator. 

Badge

If your answer only contain comma, it will tell you your answer is empty when you ‘save changes’.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Alright, onto the next solve

%2C

There were commas in all of these, only the last one uses %2C, they all got stripped but that one on save and edit.

Badge

%2C works! Thank you for the help @Bfarkas . I guess that’s how the system tells the difference of a regular comma and a separator.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

%2C works! Thank you for the help @Bfarkas . I guess that’s how the system tells the difference of a regular comma and a separator.

well, they are stored differently, so when the system scrolls the stored string it sees 3 characters none of which are a seperator character, versus 1 that is. Glad it worked out, friendly tip for next time, would have saved us trying to help a bunch of time if you had included more details in the original quesiton, like what type of question the issue was in and things you had tried already. Cheers!