Certificate Tags - Completion Date

• 8 February 2024
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hello, 

There was a post two years ago on this subject, but I haven’t found a solution yet. It’s pretty simple. I’d like to be able to use the [date_complete] tag in our certificates for ILT courses. However, that tag gives the date the course is marked complete by the Power User. So, the course is held on February 1st. Then a Power User has to gather some information and marks the course complete on February 5th. Now the learner, who took the course on the 1st, is stuck with a certificate with the wrong date - Feb 5th. 

For now, our processes dictate that we must mark courses on the admin side. Our best fix now is separate certificates which is silly and far too time consuming. Is there a way to tag the date that the ILT course is scheduled??? This seems so basic...and yet it’s so difficult. Can anyone help?

While I’m on the subject, is there a good way to tag the # of hours that a course lasts? Not the amount of time the user spent in a course, just the # of hours the course is designed to last. Thanks in advance, ya’ll. 

12 replies

Userlevel 3

@CDoerger 

To display the actual session attendance date you can use the [lt_session_date_end] short code.  This will display the date the session ends.

To display the amount of hours that the ILT course lasts, you can use [lt_session_total_hours].  For elearning, the field is Average Time [medium_time] - be sure that the field is populated in course properties.

These codes can be found under Course Fields - 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I’m on the same path as @anne.bucci - you can fill in the Average Time field in eLearnings here:

As for estimating the course length, you may find this useful:
https://elearningindustry.com/6-tips-estimate-elearning-course-length

Userlevel 3

Hi there,

the PowerUser can also manually update the Completion Date to the actual date, not the one when they marked it. (we try to get all our instructors to mark courses as completed right after the training, so that the dates fit directly anyway)

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Love this community. Didn’t even know I had this question till it was asked and answered!!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks everyone. Can I ask a clarifying question? Will this still work if I don’t have attendees in the course yet? 

@Agnes I mentioned processes….we are stuck right now with setting up an ILT in Docebo, conducting that ILT live (without Docebo interaction of any kind), and then backfilling that ILT in Docebo with attendees and marking completion. We typically have to wait a few days to get a sign in sheet. Will the tags still work as you described? 

I thank you all for your input. I know this was a basic question...but it had me struggling. 

Userlevel 3

Thanks everyone. Can I ask a clarifying question? Will this still work if I don’t have attendees in the course yet? 

@Agnes I mentioned processes….we are stuck right now with setting up an ILT in Docebo, conducting that ILT live (without Docebo interaction of any kind), and then backfilling that ILT in Docebo with attendees and marking completion. We typically have to wait a few days to get a sign in sheet. Will the tags still work as you described? 

I thank you all for your input. I know this was a basic question...but it had me struggling. 

if you just set attendance and that marks completion > then it has to be changed again afterwards manually. So in this case I would propose have the ILT session completion settings on “manual”, set attendance on event level, then go to the session enrollment list > edit enrollment > completed . Then you are asked for the completion date. Extra work but then at least the dates are correct….

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Unfortunately, only super admins get to edit the completion date, power users don’t have that privilege. 

Userlevel 3

@dianex.gomez Power Users with the correct permissions can edit enrollments including the completion date for ILT and eLearning courses.

Userlevel 3

@anne.bucci 

Thanks for pointing this out! We’re already using this feature in several situations. 
I just tested this for a certificate that was already issued and updated the completion date for a test user to 2 months later. However, when I re-download that certificate for that user, the completion date on the certificate is not updated. It still shows the “old” date. I tried since like 30minutes but the date is not changing. We’re using “date_complete” on the certificate. I assume it might be a synch/refresh issue, but 30 minutes seems quite long. Could you confirm if that’s normal?

Userlevel 3

@StefanW did you delete the currently issued certificate and then reissue it?

Go to the Certificate Template window, then click on the Issued Certificates icon.

KB Article for more information - https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020084280-Creating-and-Managing-Certificates#:~:text=and%20menus.-,Viewing%20Issued%20Certificates,-If%20you%27re%20logged

Userlevel 3

@anne.bucci 

Thank you for your reply! I deleted the issued certificate and then I went to “My activities” to download a copy of the certificate, which then had the new date. 

My hope was that this step could be skipped and the platform would automatically apply the new completion date to the certificate without the need to delete the old one. But good to know. Thanks again for the clarification!

Userlevel 3

@StefanW Glad you were able to get that to work.  This is the intended behavior as the certificate awarded during the class should remain the same unless intentionally reissued.  I like to think of it as handing out paper copy after a class, that paper copy doesn’t change when I update the certificate for the next class.