Best Answer

Docebo - Zoom v2 integration issue: meetings keep changing when Docebo Event is updated

• 26 January 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello everyone,

Throwing this out there trying to see if we are the only ones experiencing this issue. Tried to take it up with Docebo Support who said it was an issue with Zoom and Zoom Support telling me it must be an issue with the way Docebo makes the link. (I also lean towards the latter.)

Background: We commercially offer trainings for orthomolecular therapy and other health related topics to external people. Our hosts (some 15 people, based in different countries) are successful therapists / medical professionals, mostly employed on a per-event-basis and have their own busy businesses to run outside of that.

What do we experience?
When we create an ILT event and want to use the Zoom v2 the meeting gets created just fine.
HOWEVER, if we make ANY update to the event (even just clicking “Save” without changing anything), i.e. switching the trainer, the original Zoom meeting is deleted and a new one is created.

What’s our problem with that?
Our hosts are not technologically savvy and all are very busy. It is not feasible for us to have each of them go through the process to add their own Zoom Account to the integration, which is quite an involved process. (If there was something I as our IT guy could do to add all their accounts centrally that would be fine, but I can’t ask that from the users / hosts.)

As all events are being created using the same central account, our Events Team edits the Zoom meeting after creation to add the necessary host and alternative hosts and turn off the waiting room option. All that information is lost once Docebo triggers the creation of a new event.

In addition to this, we (sometimes) want to use the Zoom link in the notifications and mails from our marketing automation system without the course participants first having to go to Docebo. They should be able to log into the Zoom session directly.

So we can’t have the Zoom link of an event changing constantly.

The solution we would like to see:
We would only need Docebo to check if there was already a Zoom meeting created for this event and if that is the case, DON’T fire off a request to Zoom to delete the meeting and create a new one.

The only workaround now is to use the “Custom tool” option and create the Zoom meeting manually on their platform & then copy and paste, which creates a lot of extra work for our events team.

So much so, that we are considering to build an API with our Event Management System so THAT can create the Zoom meetings and feed it back as custom tool link to Docebo. But again, that is quite an investment...

I hope the description makes sense?

Who else has this problem and maybe found a solution to this?

icon

Best answer by Bfarkas 26 January 2023, 14:58

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Unfortunately, all of Docebo’s VILT connections seem to operate this way, so it seems to be a design decision which I would guess/assume stems from some sort of restriction. We got used to doing as many settings as possible within the Session level, assigning instructors and such, so that this does not impact. 

Also, the other large thing was to get the deep Session link to the end users in their invites, instead of the direct Zoom link, make them come through Docebo to join. In this way, the Zoom link can change till the last minute and everyone should still be able to join from their invites.

For your Zoom settings issue, can you not just turn the waiting room off by default for new sessions created on that account?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

we do not use a single account so cannot comment on that part but so agree that the “save” button in Sessions does a little too much. We see this effect as well when using the notification, ILT Session Changed. It sends something out even for the most minor changes...really annoying. The notion of having to to delete an event on Zoom and creating a new one even if the change is not to the date, time or venue, etc., seems very odd. On other LMSs I’ve used, updates were done same as if you were in the webinar tool and did not cause all the unnecessary email traffic. Almost like we’re missing a primary key correlation between the apps. Definitely needs improvement on both sides

Userlevel 1
Badge

Unfortunately, all of Docebo’s VILT connections seem to operate this way, so it seems to be a design decision which I would guess/assume stems from some sort of restriction. We got used to doing as many settings as possible within the Session level, assigning instructors and such, so that this does not impact. 

Also, the other large thing was to get the deep Session link to the end users in their invites, instead of the direct Zoom link, make them come through Docebo to join. In this way, the Zoom link can change till the last minute and everyone should still be able to join from their invites.

For your Zoom settings issue, can you not just turn the waiting room off by default for new sessions created on that account?

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly!

That was indeed a bit the impression that I got, that is so ingrained in how Docebo works, that it’s no easy fix for them.

Well, on the event level, what sometimes changes is that the times shift or some last-minute switch of the instructor due to illness. (However the latter is more for our documentation and to avoid confusion with the participants (seeing one name and the lesson being given by a different person), as we use a single account for all hosts.)

Your explanation makes complete sense, however difficult it may be for us to implement. What it boils down to, is that I have to block time with all hosts during the bi-annual get-together that we are having and do the action to link their Zoom Accounts to Docebo and then route all traffic through Docebo instead.

Briefly discussed it with a senior member of our Events Team and they’ll have to think about it. They wanted to make it is effortless as possible for our customers and this adds 2-3 clicks.

As for the Waiting Room option in Zoom: it IS disabled in the Account settings (and locked) yet the meetings created by Docebo all come in with the waiting room enabled. If you go through the Zoom API, you can apparently overrule the Account settings, which then again is a bit of a sloppy implementation on their end.

Userlevel 1
Badge

we do not use a single account so cannot comment on that part but so agree that the “save” button in Sessions does a little too much. We see this effect as well when using the notification, ILT Session Changed. It sends something out even for the most minor changes...really annoying. The notion of having to to delete an event on Zoom and creating a new one even if the change is not to the date, time or venue, etc., seems very odd. On other LMSs I’ve used, updates were done same as if you were in the webinar tool and did not cause all the unnecessary email traffic. Almost like we’re missing a primary key correlation between the apps. Definitely needs improvement on both sides

Yep, can confirm that too… we turned off the Event Change notification in a hurry when we found out that one.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly!

That was indeed a bit the impression that I got, that is so ingrained in how Docebo works, that it’s no easy fix for them.

Well, on the event level, what sometimes changes is that the times shift or some last-minute switch of the instructor due to illness. (However the latter is more for our documentation and to avoid confusion with the participants (seeing one name and the lesson being given by a different person), as we use a single account for all hosts.)

Your explanation makes complete sense, however difficult it may be for us to implement. What it boils down to, is that I have to block time with all hosts during the bi-annual get-together that we are having and do the action to link their Zoom Accounts to Docebo and then route all traffic through Docebo instead.

Briefly discussed it with a senior member of our Events Team and they’ll have to think about it. They wanted to make it is effortless as possible for our customers and this adds 2-3 clicks.

As for the Waiting Room option in Zoom: it IS disabled in the Account settings (and locked) yet the meetings created by Docebo all come in with the waiting room enabled. If you go through the Zoom API, you can apparently overrule the Account settings, which then again is a bit of a sloppy implementation on their end.

Ah yeah, that is a bit sloppy. Unfortunately the linking process for all users is a zoom limitation of the api too, balance of issues on both platforms. For the instructors, I do the same but do it at the session level instead of the event and let the event level inherit instructors, then can change the instructor without impact. Date/Time I have no work around sorry. 

Userlevel 1

Hey folks, does anyone know if this remains to be an issue with the Zoom V3 integration? My team is going to do some testing, but I’m curious if anyone else has checked this out. @Bfarkas any ideas?