Question

Has anyone enabled a course in Jupyter Notebooks or used used xAPI (Tin Can) as middleware?

• 29 October 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I am trying to connect a Docebo course to Jupyter Notebook courses, if anyone had done this I would love to know how you did it.

The cleanest (best user experience) I can find is using xAPI (Tin Can), which was designed to connect Tin Can packages to the LMS. Tin Can is a course package protocol similar to SCORM and AIIC. If we use this type, we would be using xAPI as a middleware to access the Jupyter Notebook courses. The integration would interface with the xAPI package for tracking progress and completion. Has anyone has used xAPI as middleware? If so, how easy it is to edit for adding courses to the system, determine who would own the xAPI piece, etc.

There is no connector for Jupyter Notebooks :( my Docebo tech guy did check.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @dianex.gomez.

The system has a method for importing xAPI packages.

https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020128459-Uploading-xAPI-formerly-Tin-Can-API-Content

Content generated via xAPI give you an interesting value proposition in that it can also be hosted outside (remotely) of the LMS. That said? If you do not know how to work with it? There seems to be some caveats Quoting some of the instructions from the help page:

Best Practices for xAPI/Tin Can Content in Docebo

• If you want to track your xAPI (Tin Can) package remotely, you need to upload the package directly into your platform. Your Docebo platform does not support completely anonymous tracking. If you want to send xAPI (Tin Can) statements to our platform, you can do so using the following link format: https://www.lmsaddress.com/tcapi/. Additionally, users must have a valid email address associated with their account in order for the platform to store tracking data for xAPI training materials. While you are able to upload xAPI (Tin Can) packages directly into the Central Repository, we suggest you upload them directly into a course. You can push them into the Central Repository after uploading them into the course if desired.
  • The only place where xAPI content can be updated is via the Central Repository.
  • There are no versioning options available for xAPI content.

Which sounds intriguing. I think you will want to engage your customer experience person and get a senior technical expert to give you insight into what should happen next.

I can tell you for example - where you can report on courses and their training materials, you may find reporting to not meet your needs as xAPI calls can be “chatty” - some will go as far as saying the reporting is messy.

Hope this helps.

Userlevel 1

There’s a separate forum that is more like a getting started. But as of this comment, it doesn’t look like anyone that HAS gotten started hasn’t revealed the trick behind the magic. 

But that’s here: 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

There have been some interesting changes over the last few:

Articulate Storyline has increased its support when it comes to xAPI authoring - it allows the author to control the xAPI statements. I mention it because that can impact the “verbosity” for Articulate 360 courses.

Dont worry - when I get a cycle and we have a clean need, I will introduce the use case and make this one work...this is highly desired...so the more the better.