Best Answer

A new subfolder site with a different language

Hello,

I’m creating a new subfolder under the extended enterprise settings. I intend this site to be a French-only site. How do I go about doing this? We have users who will be directed to the French only site. 

Thanks,
Anupama

icon

Best answer by KMallette 22 March 2022, 17:39

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@ANUPAMA … actually pretty easy.

1. Create your new subfolder.
  2. Under Admin > Extended Enterprise > Manage, click on the Language Settings. Click the Enable button, and then activate/deactivate the languages as you require.

3. Work with your IT team to create the necessary SSL certificates for the new URL. Also go thru the SPF and DKIM configurations so that email works securely as well.
  4. If you have any Additional Fields that also need translation, go to Admin > Users > Additional Fields, and select Edit for the specific field.
  5. At the top left corner of the Edit Field page, click Select Language Field and move down the list to your desired language.
  6. Type the translated field label into the Field name, and click Confirm

During your testing of the site, you might find some text strings that haven’t been translated into your language (HIGHLY unlikely). If you find them, you can use the Localization Tool to make the corrections. Check out the KB for details on using the Localization Tool

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @ANUPAMA once you set-up your sub domain, you will be able to configure it to use whatever language you want. Please note that English is always a default and cannot be turned off so your users could conceivably revert to English if they so wish. To avoid confusion, make sure you localize all that you can. You can also identify the language of a course which is very helpful.

https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020124899-Managing-the-Extended-Enterprise-App#subtitle-5

Thanks for your responses. What is the difference between creating a sub-folder and a sub-domain?

A follow-up question: I deactivated all languages except French, and now it works splendidly. Everything is in French and I have little knowledge of the language. As an administrator, I want to be able to see English text so I can set this up. Please advice.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Thanks for your responses. What is the difference between creating a sub-folder and a sub-domain?

They are really two names for the same thing, but this might help you see the context for why they are given different names

In Discover:

In a browser:

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

A follow-up question: I deactivated all languages except French, and now it works splendidly. Everything is in French and I have little knowledge of the language. As an administrator, I want to be able to see English text so I can set this up. Please advice.

If you log in to the https://yourcompanyname.docebosaas.com domain as a superadmin, then you will see the default language of all of your sub-folders. Impersonate a user in that subfolder and you’ll see French. You’ll just need to use google translate whenever you find something that you can’t figure out otherwise.  Currently I am supporting 2 versions of Spanish, 2 of Portuguese, and Polish. Over time, you just kinda learn key words.

@KMallette thank you! That’s exactly what I’ve been doing, using Google Translate. Happy to know that that’s how it’s supposed to work.

I have another question about “Manage Pages”.

1. I created a page for my English site.
  2. I duplicated this page for the French site.

How do I set the French page as the starting page (with custom widgets) when the French user logs in?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@KMallette thank you! That’s exactly what I’ve been doing, using Google Translate. Happy to know that that’s how it’s supposed to work.

I have another question about “Manage Pages”.

1. I created a page for my English site.
  2. I duplicated this page for the French site.

How do I set the French page as the starting page (with custom widgets) when the French user logs in?

You’ll define the visibility for the french menu the same way that you defined it for the english - use some group or branch. Check out the KB for more details about how to manage pages and menus.

Hello!

In my French sub-folder site, I still see the menu displayed in English. How do I fix this? Your advice is appreciated!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@ANUPAMAIf the pages have English titles, then so will the menu. If you want french titles, you’ll need to build pages with french titles.

You can use the “Duplicated and Edit” function of the english page to get you started before translating the text strings.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

actually @ANUPAMA all menus can be localized...you can add the French text so when a user changes their language to French, they will see the French versions of each menu item. The localization must be done at the PAGE level.

you might need to do this for the built-in pages too...I had to update a few

Thanks @lrnlab. I tried that, but every time I update the language to French and save, come back in later, and it resets to English!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

are you toggling OFF the “Assign same content to all languages”? You should see both languages in blue when they are both active.

When you click the globe you should see this:

then you click the “A” to add the localized text

When I select the French Canadian option, I see this:

Silly question...are you changing your language when you login to French?