API Can't Bulk Enroll Users From Specific Extended Enterprise Domains

Userlevel 4
Badge

So I believe I’ve uncovered a bug. When bulk enrolling users via the api, it enrolls those users from your root https://xxxx.docebosaas.com domain. If you are using automated groups coupled with enrollment rules to trigger enrollments, that all works well. HOWEVER, if you have a notification that uses a short code, say [course_link], and you want that notification to generate at enrollment into the course, the course link spits back the .docebosaas.com domain, not the extended enterprise in which the users belong. Why? Well, I believe it’s due to the fact that the user who has a connection to the api is logged in at root, thus when the automation (group and enrollment rules) trigger, they are doing so from that root domain. 
Why is this a bug? The notification should not be tied to the uploader taking the action, but instead to the location in which the notification is built. I have been offered no workaround or solution to this issue by Docebo support, and have spent a fair amount of time building a flow that takes spreadsheets uploaded in one location and automatically uploads them to the LMS in bulk user management. I’ve come quite some way to hit such an absurd brick wall. 

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

this is one of the major issues we have with notifications…

Only saving grace is that users in your sub domain still have access to get in via the root domain; problem is they wont see any of their branding, colours, etc (if your domains have different branding)

Same URL issue exists with the DCS notifications and others...

Userlevel 4
Badge

this is one of the major issues we have with notifications…

Only saving grace is that users in your sub domain still have access to get in via the root domain; problem is they wont see any of their branding, colours, etc (if your domains have different branding)

Same URL issue exists with the DCS notifications and others...

Glad I’m not alone here. This is borderline unacceptable. Our workaround until I was able to develop a fully automated solution was to always login to the EE in question and upload the csv there, but there is seemingly no option in the API to access that endpoint through the EE cname. 

I think I understand how they developed this to work, at least more than I have in the past, but the question is why?  This is sloppy at best, when Docebo could have tied notification events directly to branches, thus customizing links and wording based on branch, not on the most recent operator of an event.

Docebo, what do you have in response to this blatant oversight?

@matt.lewis @erin.brisson 

​Hi @tommyVan ,

If you add the domain to the end point the course link in the notice is updated.
e.g. :  https://company.docebosaas.com/DOMAIN/learn/v1/enrollments

Userlevel 4
Badge

so which part of the domain? or the whole domain? First I’m hearing about this. Also, while this is nifty, I am also posting through the API for other clients that live on the root, so I’d have to find a way around this still, but this is cool advice!

​Hi @tommyVan ,

If you add the domain to the end point the course link in the notice is updated.
e.g. :  https://company.docebosaas.com/DOMAIN/learn/v1/enrollments

DOMAIN in my example is the sub folder name set in enterprise. I would post the EE enrollments separately.

Userlevel 4
Badge

DOMAIN in my example is the sub folder name set in enterprise. I would post the EE enrollments separately.

So let me see if I understand: 
If I follow your schema, and bulk upload users via the API with the inclusion of the folder name to which the EE belongs, all automated triggers (e.g. user has been enrolled in course from group) will then have the url associated with that branch pulled with short codes like [course-link]? Forgive me, as nowhere in docebo’s documentation is this mentioned, so I want to make sure I’m understanding you before I attempt this. Thanks for your help!! 

You’re welcome! That’s correct for every enrollment you send to
“https://company.docebosaas.com/EE_SUBFOLDER/learn/v1/enrollments”
the short code course link in the email notification will also include EE_SUBFOLDER.

Userlevel 4
Badge

You’re welcome! That’s correct for every enrollment you send to
“https://company.docebosaas.com/EE_SUBFOLDER/learn/v1/enrollments”
the short code course link in the email notification will also include EE_SUBFOLDER.

Ohh so I think I see the difference. Our EE is on an independent domain that they host themselves and point a cname at our company.docebosaas.com url. so adding the subfolder would likely not change the domain in the notification, but I’ll try it either way. Thanks for this!

Userlevel 4
Badge

@lrnlab @avega So I just heard something wild from a chat agent who was working with a tier two to test this. Full disclosure, I have not tested this, or @avega ‘s approach yet due to time.

Apparently you can go the api browser for your EE domain directly, such as example.test.com/api-browser , and do bulk imports from there. I have gone to the api browser for our EE client and it does exist. I am inclined to believe that if I processed a bulk import from here, the notifications would fall in line. I’ll keep this thread updated early next week. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@tommyVan we don't use the APIs too often but am interested to hear ho this plays out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

following!

Userlevel 4
Badge

Small update. This did NOT work. It spat back a 301 Moved Permanently Error. Additionally, I tested my flow through the api on another branch on the main lms.flpps.org tenant (non EE, our white labeled  domain) and now all notifications triggered by automatic groups have our flpps.docebosaas.com url instead of the white labeled domain.

This is very obviously a BUG and I cannot get any resources except for one (very helpful, but not a developer) chat agent. It is shocking to me that docebo isn’t scrambling all hands to repair this. It nullifies any and all use the API has if you hope to also use automated notifications tied to enrollment rules. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

UPDATE: I got this to work! Could not have done it without @kia.grant . 

This is not actually a bug, and works extremely well no, however, the lack of documentation on this process, an area in which Docebo typically excels, made the entire process much more complicated than it actually needed to be.

This last leg of the problem resided in the connector between docobo and power automate. I had built a connector with the flpps.docebosaas.com url using the url + the endpoint. When it came to building the connector for our EE, it was necessary to only use the endpoint itself, in this case /manage/v1/user/batch 

That said, you can use this same logic to visit your api browser for all domains associated with your account instead of going to the XXXX.docebosaas.com address, and it ought not to negatively impact notificaitons.

@matt.lewis Possibly, to make this easier for future travelers, you could link the documentation team this thread. I’d be happy to walk them through the challenges so that others might find it easier in the future. 

Thanks to the whole Docebo team that worked on this! 

Userlevel 4
Badge

@adriano.i FYI