Best Answer

CSV file upload for session/event creation

• 21 April 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Does anyone have some insight on the .csv upload process to create new sessions/events for a VILT course? I have to be making it harder than it needs to be. I’ve downloaded the sample template, but even with that I have to upload several times to figure out the format it is looking for (upper case vs lower case, date formats etc). Even once I can get one in there I’m still missing a lot of info and have to spend time going back in and adding details.  We are a small team (2) who spend a lot of time creating new sessions so would love to make the entire process more efficient but at this point I spend more time just getting the file to load I can do it manually just as quickly. Thanks for any help you can provide!!!

icon

Best answer by mj_ 3 May 2021, 23:45

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi Stephanie, I agree with you that the template only has a minimal amount of information you can add to it to create what I call the “shell” session and from there you need to go into each session to adjust it according to whatever settings you want. I found that once i figure out what value and formatting the upload requires, i usually create my own version of the template including a first line with SAMPLE data and depending on the field, an explanation of what type of data is required in that particular column, etc. If you save that as an EXCEL TEMPLATE format, it can easily be shared and will cannot be overwritten by another user...this helps to maintain the integrity of your template.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hey @Stephanie Dreiling! There are a couple of PDFs in the Docebo Help article “Creating and Managing ILT Sessions” that I reference and have found useful in demystifying what the CSV import process for sessions and events is looking for in terms of data type and format.

In each there should be a link to a PDF that goes over all the fields you might want to include on your CSV import file and some additional notes too! It looks like this:

I would agree with @lrnlab suggestion! Once you have CSV file that works for you, you can use that as a template for all future CSV uploads to make the whole import process as quick as possible!

Userlevel 4

@mj_ Thanks for this. As it does help...shame I spent a ton of time creating this only to see you all already did :)… just made it harder to find...LOL

Userlevel 4

@mj_ Do you know where the same files can be found for handling enrollments?
I downloaded the sample and searched the help site but could not find anything for “accepted values” for the different fields. 

Has anyone been able to import sessions with multiple instructors assigned to the same session? I enclosed the instructors’ user names in brackets [ ] and separated each username with a comma but no space. Our usernames are email addresses. I copied them from each instructors’ user profile because of case sensitivity. I mapped the instructor username column to Instructor Username(s) column. I still received an error: Invalid parameter 'instructors'

I tried again by copying the uuid from each instructor’s user profile into the Instructor User ID(s) column, and deleted the instructor usernames from the user name column. Enclosed in [ ], separated by commas but no spaces. Still received the Invalid parameter 'instructors'. 

I see that we can also assign session instructors via csv, however, we have to populate that import file with the system-generated session IDs which would involved too much labor-intensive copy/pasting for us given the number of vILT courses and sessions we have. I really want to be able to import all the session instructors in the session import file. 

Never mind my question about importing sessions with multiple instructors. I figured it out. In case anyone else has the same question, the key was to enclose the list of instructor user names in double quotes, not [ ] brackets, as I had been told. I am using a comma delimited file, so I was told to separate each instructor username with a comma and enclose the whole list within [ ]. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I’m curious, last time I looked at this the annoying part seemed to be you had to bulk create the sessions and then gather their id’s to make the event file to run. Is this still true or is there an easier way to gather those ids now?

Without that, I find it way easier to process these creations through the apis since when the session is created the id is returned and then the event can be generated right away.