Best Answer

I thought course links were "fixed"?

• 9 February 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

That is, I had a power user try to share a /play/ link for a course to someone who was not enrolled in the course (a course with open self enrollment to all users) and that end-user got a 500.

I thought this was fixed? Or is it just coming soon perhaps?

icon

Best answer by lrnlab 9 February 2023, 19:40

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@lrodmanYou can’t just copy the browser URL to share.  You have to configure the course to have an enrollment link (Course Management > Properties > General Settings > Enrollment Options).  This is the link that can be shared.

When creating the link, be sure to be logged into the subdomain where the course lives, not the super admin domain. You’ll want the enrollment link to show the URL that the learner is assigned to. For example: https://bbs.viasatdiscover.com vs. https://viasat.docebosaas.com … my learners are assigned to the first one.

Userlevel 4

Another consideration is whether the receiver has access to the course according to the Catalog assigned to them. If the user doesn’t have the course in their Catalog, they won’t gain access, even if given the enrollment link.

We do this as a way to manage the sharing of role and level specific internal training.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Another consideration is whether the receiver has access to the course according to the Catalog assigned to them. If the user doesn’t have the course in their Catalog, they won’t gain access, even if given the enrollment link.

We do this as a way to manage the sharing of role and level specific internal training.

@TrishAH Do they not get enrolled, or do they just not see the course on their dashboard since there isn’t visibility into the catalog? Interesting idea …

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@TrishAHDo they not get enrolled, or do they just not see the course on their dashboard since there isn’t visibility into the catalog? Interesting idea …

I thought if a superadmin makes an enrollment link, anyone who clicks it gets enrolled no matter what. No?

Also re: the original post, I thought a fix had been rolled out to simplify course-access-links (so that if given a link from someone who is enrolled, they get the actual course not a 500). Maybe not yet?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

think it’s supposed to be coming soon (whatever soon means...lol)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Soon™

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Soon™️

@lrodman Trademark on “soon”. CLASSIC.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Sharing course links has been a pain point since day 1.

We resolved most 500 errors by 1) ensuring courses are in catalogs and 2) extensive communication and training telling employees to use shareable links/enrollment links and not the browser URL. It’s something we stress anytime we are delivering or promoting courses in the system. Always use shareable links! 

Userlevel 4

[course_link] VS [enrollment_link] 

The [enrollment_link] tag does not exist. The [course_link] tag only works for people already enrolled. 

Current Funnel:

1. A manager forwards a notification with a [course_link] to their team.
  2. Non-enrolled team member clicks on [course_link] and gets an error.
  3. Error creates a bad impression of the system’s communication / intelligence
  4. Adoption decreases.

How soon is Soon™ 😋