Best Answer

Microsoft Teams Integration - Instructor Calendar

Userlevel 3
Badge

We have integrated MS Teams accounts for several users. When I create a session, it asks for instructors. I added several instructors.

Then I go to Events, and choose one of the instructors MS Teams account

• After saving, it adds the event to the users Outlook Calendar and to the Docebo Calendar - Perfect!
  • From what I can tell, unless you use the instructors MS Teams account when creating the Event, no one gets the event added to their Outlook or Docebo calendar.
  • Do instructors need to enroll to see it on their calendars?

Is this correct or am I missing something? 

icon

Best answer by lrnlab 25 August 2022, 16:21

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Ok. I did not publish the event that is why it was not showing on the Docebo Calendar.
So, the question is, only the persons whose MS Teams account you use gets the calendar invite in Outlook?

Any notifications that can send a calendar invite to the instructors assigned? I could not see one. 

Thanks

Michael

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @mlubenski sadly there are no automatic notifications to alert someone they have been added as an instructor...Closest you can get is to use the manual option once your session has been created and the instructor added.

An idea was posted recently you can vote on

Userlevel 3
Badge

@lrnlab Thanks!
That will work!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Glad to help

Userlevel 3
Badge

We are in the process of setting up the integration and one of the permissions we saw calendars.readwrite. We were told when set this would add it to the Instructor’s calendar. Has anyone used this? Any tips?

Userlevel 5
Badge

The short answer is to go to the meeting in the teams calendar and invite them.  I also tweak a bunch of other settings. here is the instruction set I wrote up for the rest of my team

If you are creating an ILT session using Teams.

This integration has been created using the shared account. Meetings created in Docebo will appear in the outlook calendar for this account. 

Steps to configure

1. Create an event in an ILT course
    1. Video Conference Tool- MS Teams Meeting
    2. Account- ETC Teams Service Account (Meeting)
    3. Set appropriate attendance options. 
    4. Set appropriate Join button options
      1. Instructors= 30 min prior
      2. learner= 10 min prior
  2. Open meeting in Outlook calendar for education.center@etcconnect.com and set up your meeting
    1. Open Scheduling assistant and add any instructors as Required Attendees
      1. If you are not the one configuring the meeting you can skip to step 3 and any co-organizer can set up the meeting. 
    2. Open Meeting Options
      1. Who can bypass the lobby -Everyone
      2. Announce when callers join or leave - No
      3. Choose co-organizers
        1. Add the instructors
      4. Who can present? NOTE: WITHIN THE MEETING YOU CAN PROMOTE OR DEMOTE ANYONE TO PRESENT
        1. Everyone= All attendees come in as presenters
        2. Specific people= these people are presenters others are attendees
        3. Only me and Co-organizers= Only those specifically invited to the teams meeting are presenters
        4. People in my organization and guests= anyone with an @etcconnect.com is a presenter
      5. Allow mic for attendees - Yes
      6. Allow camera for attendees - Yes
      7. Record automatically - No (I prefer to manage when the recording starts)
      8. Allow meeting chat -  In meeting only (this means chat isn’t available before or after the meeting)
      9. Allow reactions - Yes
      10. Enable Q&A -
        1. If you want a Q&A you can enable this. Q&A will display questions to presenters and give them the ability to answer to all or answer to a specific person. 
      11. Provide CART Captions - depends on you need (either Yes or No)
      12. Enable language interpretation - depends on your need (either Yes or No)
      13. Who can record - Organizers and presenters
      14. Enable end-to-end-Encryption - No
      15. Allow attendance report (Yes)
      16. Save options
      17. Close meeting options window
    3. Save and send outlook meeting to attendees

IMPORTANT!! IF YOU SAVE OR MODIFY THE EVENT IT RESETS THE TEAMS MEETING TO DEFAULT

@Davefox so let me see if I understand you correctly - you have a microsoft/teams licensed user called education.center@etcconnect.com.  This user was set up as the only account you added into Docebo where you Manage the Teams apps.  And all of your instructors share this account and sign on to use this education.center account to scheduled meetings for classes.  Have I got that all right?  How specifically do you have them sign on as education.center@etcconnect.com?   Are they signing out of their personal Teams client, or are they signing onto Microsoft as the shared user in a browser?

How many instructors do you have?  And was this number the reason you didn’t add each person’s own account in the Docebo Teams app?

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi @twine2024 .

Let me see if I can answer your questions.

The number one reason we chose to use a single shared outlook/teams account in docebo because while we have a lot of instructors, there are only a small group of us responsible for creating classes and building ILT sessions in Docebo. This was a company decision. 

We needed a solution that was as simple as possible for our instructors and gave us team level visibility into meeting creation and modification.

Using a shared calendar gave us all the same level of visibility and editibility to the events.  When anyone in my department is creating an IlT class with a teams meeting we use this single account to create it. THEN we add go into outlook/teams and invite the event instructors and set them up as co-organizers. 

No one has to change anything in regards to how they log into outlook, teams or Docebo. They always log in as themselves. 

Because instructors are invited through outlook/teams it appears in their personal outlook calendar as any other teams meeting. When they join, they do so thorough teams as themselves and they have the rights we gave them when creating the meeting. This adds the advantage of instructors not having to go through Docebo to enter meetings they are instructors for. 

Learners enter through the Event in Docebo and have several benefits.

1. They do not need teams credentials to join the meeting
  2. When they join the meeting their attendance is logged in the event in Docebo. 
  3. Because they are not an organizer, we can restrict access to share or speak or even chat as is appropriate. 

The class determines the instructor and attendee count. In some cases is it 1-3 instructors and 10-25 learners. In some of our other roundtable sessions I may have 25 instructor panelists and over a hundred learners. So teams is a great solution here. 

I will say that in addition to Teams we also use Adobe Connect and in those cases we do have individual accounts created in Docebo for each named host. This was so that our adobe users can do their thing the way they need it. 

So when those events are created we choose AdobeConnect and then choose the host account that corresponds to the instructor that will lead the training. This way instructors can modify the meetings as they need (we do use templates) and join through their Adobe log in. Students join through Docebo and come in as guests. 

Hope this helps. feel free to ask me more questions if needed. It took a few months of tweaking and working to get this all to function the way is does now. The existing documentation in these pages and Docebo university were unclear on a lot of points. 

David

Thanks @Davefox for the details.  So what is the process for: “When anyone in my department is creating an IlT class with a teams meeting we use this single account to create it.”  You said they don’t have to log on as this user - then how do they use this new account we’ve created?

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi @twine2024.

I am going to preface my reply with two caveats. 

1. I am not an IT person and my innerworkings of microsoft are minimal (see signature quote)
  2. I am not sure how familiar you are with Enterprise Outlook so forgive what may be a very basic explanation.

Within Outlook enterprise you can create an account with multiple “owners” or delegates I believe it is called a shared mailbox in Outlook speak. They is useful when you need to share any outlook account. It allows multiple people to have selectable access and rights within an account. 

In our case the email address is one of those accounts. It was set up by our IT group and is linked to my and the rest of my teams individual accounts. So when I log into Outlook as me, I see my account and any other accounts associated to me. See screenshot below

So accessing the shared accounts as a user is just clicking on it and whatever rights I have dictates what I can do. In these examples I have the ability to read and send email from these two accounts, as well as create and edit calendar objects. 

In Docebo since we are creating events in this shared calendar they appear when the event is saved.  Then I can open outlook and see the event in that calendar

This is very much not a Docebo thing. This is 100% an outlook thing and I suspect there is a similar function in just about any enterprise level email system. I do something very similar with a family calendar in Google.

I hope this wasn’t too simplistic of an answer and I am sorry I can’t give you the detailed steps in Outlook to do it. 

Be Seeing You

David

Thanks @Davefox - So it’s a shared mailbox and all instructors have access to this shared mailbox and they create their meetings for classes there so all training shows up on one calendar.  Instructors have to be added to these meetings.  I think I understand.  We just have to decide if one shared calendar or creating a separate Teams account inside of Docebo is needed per instructor - we will only have 5 or so I think.