Uploading an event via CSV

• 5 October 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hello All,

I know I’ve asked this in the past. I needed to pivot to a different initiative. Now that I’m back working on this I’m trying to get up to speed.

I’ve been getting errors trying to import an event. Our company has expanded so much that creating sessions and events manually has become a arduous task. 

I was able to create session via a csv which was very promising. However, I’ve been stuck on trying to add an event to a session via csv. I’m uploading in the correct place.

And I don’t mind making templates for future imports. Clearly something is out of whack with this import sheet. At first I was getting errors with the date column. Then the time column. After those columns were fixed I get an error “can’t process file”. Is there a bug with the importing? If there is a correct format why doesn’t Docebo publish it? If someone else experienced the same issue how did you overcome it?

I downloaded the template file in the Docebo import events section, and that fails.
All I need to do is import data. Been working on this all morning. Does anyone have any other samples they can share? I’m not really understanding, exactly what need to be done for a successful import.

Thank you so much in advance!

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I have been working on this also.

Some key aspects for my situation:

1. Date must be in the form of  YYYY-MM-DD  I find that even though I save a successful upload - it reverts back when I open it later. So I just highlight them all and format the cell
  2. Time must be in the form HH:MM:SS  I find that by default, the first H is not active unless actually used. In other words 10:30:00 would upload fine but 8:30:00 would not. It must read 08:30:00 with the leading zero so I also have to reformat the time columns when opening anew.
  3. Some columns are mandatory and some have required formats - as above - make sure that you are populating all required ones.
  4. Verify your session ID or UUID - whichever you are using - and only use one of them - not both.
  5. Verify your Classroom ID and Location ID

I am doing the minimum I need for my situation. I leave all other columns blank.

Remember to select the use first row as header if applicable.

id_session
name
day
time_begin
time_end
timezone
id_classroom
id_location

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

gstager Thank you for your reply. I’m up to 29 tries now. Believe it? I tried so many ways just to get it to work. Clearly I’m missing something. I tried using the time h:mm:ss, i tried h:mm,
I tried text, I tried custom, I tried time. Nothing is working. I attached my file to this reply. At this point I’m not sure of what to do. I use the import feature a lot with users. I can import users, change the user names, update the users, move them to a different branch. I can create sessions. But I can’t get this event import to work. To add to the misery yes I have to reformat those columns each time I open the sheet. 
I’m contemplating sending the file to support and ask them to assist. Ridiculous the amount of time I spent on this. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@ncassella 

You are using four time-based fields with two different format requirements - UGH - I know...

time_begin and time_end  require  HH:MM:SS as I stated above.

join_in_advance_time_user and join_in_advance_time_teacher  require  HH:MM (I was not using these)

You will have to manually adjust the custom format in excel to reflect this.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I thank you so much for replying with these suggestions. I updated the sheet again and got a different error. I think it’s time to talk with support.
Here’s the error i got

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Shot in the dark…

When I was having issues - I decided to upload the entire demo CSV file - every single field - whether I used it or not. I only filled out the ones I needed and I uploaded the rest of them blank.

I might suggest that.

Start with a new fresh demo file - only fill in what you need - verify all formats.

Save your preset before you upload.

Check this page for all requirements and formatting.

https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/5226538368658-Importing-ILT-and-VILT-Sessions-and-Events-via-CSV-Files

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I was looking through this compared to your specific upload.

Looks like you need the allow_recording_completion field

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@ncassella - In addition to my last post yesterday - I wanted to add a little something else.

When you go to upload - verify that the total number of events to upload matches your CSV

For example - above I have three items +19 for a total of 22

I had a case where I don’t know if something else was held in the buffer or perhaps there were invisible cells in my CSV but I had this view say +30 - (total of 33 - exactly 11 more than my 22) I tried to upload anyway and all the events came through  but it gave me a Bad Data Structure Error.

I deleted a whole bunch of rows under my data even though they appeared empty (more than the difference) and it went through without error the second time.

Shot in the dark…

When I was having issues - I decided to upload the entire demo CSV file - every single field - whether I used it or not. I only filled out the ones I needed and I uploaded the rest of them blank.

I might suggest that.

Start with a new fresh demo file - only fill in what you need - verify all formats.

Save your preset before you upload.

Check this page for all requirements and formatting.

https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/5226538368658-Importing-ILT-and-VILT-Sessions-and-Events-via-CSV-Files

gstager - thanks for this advice - this is the step that worked for me although don’t know why it required to have all the other fields when they are not being used.