Course Links

• 5 May 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 5

Hi everyone, I’m Roberto Moscatelli from the Docebo Support team and I would like to share something about course link and how to share it with end users.

Scenario

• We have CourseA that is assigned to the catalog CatalogA

• We have User1 that is enrolled in the CourseA

• We have User2 that is not enrolled in the CourseA but is assigned to the CatalogA

• We have User3 that is not enrolled in the CourseA and is not assigned to the CatalogA

1- Copy the URL of the Course:

Logged in to the platform as Superadmin, just go in the Admin Menu-Course management and select your course and click the “learner view” button. Then copy the URL: 

VZS_GKdDdUyEQZUge8XZ2x8uMTUk3tHCldenTmYGpw1WC-Mxo3jqJ0VUOAO_6MOweBQfpJOlsDTq_EweJsYXhe7i9YblthOJt48t_63jABcFfjGFGGMRLxz0UbtrpbJpCr3OrdYxzy1WjY9mwQ

In this case the link will be: https://yourplatform.docebosaas.com/learn/course/31/coursea 

Please note: this link will work ONLY for ENROLLED users.

So in our example, ONLY User1 can use this course link.

2 - Copy the “course catalog link”

Logged in to the platform as Superadmin, just go to the “all catalog” page and select the catalog in which there is the “CourseA” (so in this case select the “CatalogA”. Then select the “CourseA” (you should see the “Enroll” button on the right) and copy the URL:

W9RAiDGUF_EC0lIbWvV0q0kalg1JqC4eCyMBIhW9C3cog7eNNPIF0Gt_ttCCiDR549iiG8ElG-PmLb-4wrQtxE4xO3HPNUl3N7f9YkNBHbqeFQhFrbPf4mGl0qVa43wqmx_Y1_vn2pHUF_81xg

In this case the link will be: https://yourplatform.docebosaas.com/learn/course/internal/view/elearning/31/coursea

Please note: this link will work ONLY for users that have the visibility of the course (so for the ones that have the visibility of the catalog and the ones that are already enrolled in the course).

So, in our example, ONLY User1 and User2 can use this course link. 

User1 will be directly redirected to the course page, otherwise User2 will be redirected to the course catalog page and he/she will see the “enrollment” button.

3 - Enrollment link 

In the course properties we can activate the “Enrollment link”.

qs_wj7Wg2mP4Q7jHzGx4NB3oe6lbjNMg_b-D8Ry3F-vuA3MmhR0X3JwEYpDRdkUO6UQVzkC406iqhkVlk92xLVl-39RtKIXhPENB4xPSV8N4yiLs-za7ZrBoaBmH0T58_qS10fcZQsxdzhSXsw

Activating this option, a new link URL will be generated by the platform and it will be like the following one: https://yourplatform.docebosaas.com/learn/course/31/coursea?generated_by=13068&hash=b9515fa90bf44c7fdb40fd489202b1364529ba87

Once someone clicks on the link, if the user is not already enrolled in the course, he or she will be automatically enrolled with direct access to the course page. If the course is for sale via E-Commerce or Shopify, then a user will be redirected to the course page inside the catalog where he or she can start the purchasing process.

If the course enrollment policy is set as Pending Admin Approval, then the user will be redirected to the My Courses and Learning Plans area, where he or she will see that the course is locked, but that an enrollment request has been sent to the Superadmin. Once the Superadmin approves the request, the user can access the course.

Please note: this link will work ONLY for users that have the visibility of the course (so for the ones that have the visibility of the catalog and the ones that are already enrolled in the course).

So, in our example, ONLY User1 and User2 can use this course link. 

So, what about user3? How can I share a course link with users that have no visibility for that course?

In the advanced settings of the platform there is an option to decide whether enrollment links can be used for all public courses (courses in public catalogs), or if users can only use enrollment links for courses or learning plans that are placed within catalogs to which they have been assigned visibility.

By default, course enrollment links are NOT available for all public courses. To change this setting, access the Admin Menu from the gear icon in the top right corner, then select the Advanced Settings option from the Settings section. Access the Advanced tab and reach the Course Enrollment Links section. Here, you can flag the option to allow course enrollment links to enroll learners in all public courses

peikfvP29UtFvlcgDITRTBoEMCzq--gkB4ekw7QmyXDh5Agi9V7XwFukPri1Rs_Y7b14crhlrkB-6-5mOzkmseHnohSF1mZQftcbDxeJz2RwI5cinwDHDHg1ztugY52pUujH4d67Qzfb1_J1Ug

So in our example, activating this flag, the course enrollment link will works for User1, User2 and User3.

Feedback/Questions⁉

We’d love to hear your thoughts on this guide and if it was helpful for you. Please share any feedback and/or questions below.

4 replies

Userlevel 4

This is helpful and something I fully didn’t understand when we first implemented. I have found that learner behavior though is to copy and share the URL with others which is not ideal. I would love to see a way in the future that it was easier to share courses with others / reduce the steps for enrollment. Just my two cents! I’ve put in a idea for this already. 

Userlevel 3

We have been using option 2 for everything. If a user is already enrolled in the course and they click that link to go back to it, it’ll put them in the course. If a user is not enrolled and they click it, they’ll land on the preview page. We use that style of link when making a clickable banner on our platform, or when we link to the course in Microsoft Teams. 

We’ve run into issues where we tried to use option 1 and it wouldn’t work for someone not enrolled. Option 3 didn’t work when someone clicked it on their mobile device. Option 2 seems to work all around. 

Great post from @pmo from Inspire 2021 with some tips and tricks including an automatic URL converter. 

Userlevel 3

This is helpful as a workarounf until this issue is finally fixed, however we should not need to have a long article about how to share links at all. A simple copy paste from anywhere on the plaftom should work. 
We are very disappointed and honestly worried to have to wait until late Q3 to have this issue fixed. We just launched docebo in our company, a company with 20 000 employees, including several hundreds of L&D managers.
Can you imagine sending an explanation on how to share links between colleagues to our 20 000 employees? We are receiving daily support requests from users not understanding why they face an error 403 page when they click on a link shared by their colleagues our HR managers who are not yet aware of this issue.

Userlevel 4

I feel this too @Amel