How do you handle localization?

• 4 November 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Recently we’ve been receiving a lot of requests for localization of our video-based courses. We currently handle three languages, but the addition of more languages is beyond the scope of our small team. I was wondering how other admins/organizations have approached this challenge. Has anyone been able to find a contractor that can localize their courses speedily, accurately, and at a reasonable cost? Our courses are quite technical, so I’m wondering how accurate an outside contractor would be. Also, how have you handled the Docebo side of things? I know the user interface supports a wide range of languages, but how easy is it to maintain custom elements like menus and pages without a native speaker in-house?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Daniel Challenging problem! My team has been trying to find best practices (that work within our limitations) for a long time. We current support English, Spanish, Portuguese, but I suspect we’ll be adding French and German within the near future.

We tried the translation house process (way too expensive, slow, and frankly, wrong), in house native speakers (some are good, but many are too colloquial in their work choice, grammar, etc.), and even Google Translate.

Driven mostly by costs and timelines, we’ve settled on having our Instructional Designers (IDD) use online tools. For voice over, we use Maestra. We did some trials for the different voice offerings, and decided on ones we felt were most authentic. For strict text translation, we use Deep L. For tools that required a license, we purchased one license and use a “I’m logging in now” “I’m done” messaging system so that we have only one user at a time (to comply with license agreement).

After the IDD completes the machine translation, we use in-house native speakers (where available) to review and help us with some of the topic-specific vocabulary.

Regards,

KMallette/Viasat, Inc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

We have to be able to give a certificate of proof that the translation is what the original was. For this we have to go to an external vendor and it is quite costly so it becomes a ‘if you would like your courses translated we charge back to your area, can you manage the cost?” type proposition, which limits it to just things that really provide value in translation vs. nice to haves. It is costly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Also, the update and management cycle is infinitely more complex as a result which is always annoying.