How have you changed the mindset with other departments around Docebo?

• 11 August 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge

I have a customer who is looking to understand how other Docebo users have solved this issue.

Right now there is a sentiment that Docebo does just one thing: compliance. Learners log in once per year to complete their training and then not again until the following year. How have you created that change within the organization to see that the platform can do so much more than that? 

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I like this. Two thoughts come to mind.

1. Find a group that might be interested and has a need that can be solved within Docebo, and make it first class everything, content, experience, etc. Really focus on their needs so that they get excited by it. It may be hard to find the right group for this, often it requires having a bit of a connected unofficial network within the company so that you hear about projects going on unofficially and can find ways to add value. Once this has gone well, that group will help you market to other groups, gain a few wins and you have your own internal white papers to use to get those who are very against it onboard. Small wins build over time.
  2. Build compelling content. Make sure it is available and advertised when they come in to do their compliance stuff, that way some users who came in to just check the box will see things they did not know were there and potentially come back. At the end of the day if the content is stale or unengaging or feels like compliance content, then the mindset can’t shift.
Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@mariah.kindice I agree with @Bfarkas … this is one of those things that you just have to do. Walk the walk, not just talk the talk. If you can demonstrate success in some area,  people will change their mindsets themselves.

In my case, I had a couple of use cases where the process of delivering training just didn’t work for my team (aka me.) So I did a bit of research, wrote a new process, and then told the affiliated teams that things were changing. Sort of a ‘ask forgiveness vs. ask permission’. :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Interesting.

I find it so in view of the sentiment that it only does compliance.

My first thought is to ask - “So what is it that makes you think that way?”

With that little nugget of intel we can begin to properly address the foundation.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@mariah.kindice We built our onboarding for each department (we’re a retailer) to be a hybrid of doing something on Docebo, then meeting with a training to practice. They bounce back and forth over the first few weeks doing this, so every employee is well-versed in our Docebo instance by the time they finish orientation. Then we keep them coming back with regular content additions. I also keep a really high standard of anything we add so we have trust built up that if they take something it should be pretty good at a minimum.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I agree with a lot of what has already been said on this one. Something I tell a lot of Docebo customers that I work with at GuyKat is that Docebo isn’t the Field of Dreams! Hopefully most of you have seen the movie or get the reference. 😆 Just because you build it, doesn’t mean they will come! It amazes me how little some organizations spend on marketing and promoting a tool they’re spending tens of thousands of dollars on each year. 

Half the battle is finding the champions within the company and leveraging those people to help promote the platform internally. If you can find one or two teams that you can really work with to build out an entire program and ecosystem around their needs, the platform will take off from there. 

Userlevel 2

@mariah.kindice 

Clients are going to formulate an opinion on what they see and experience. If you only use Docebo for compliance; that’s going to be their perspective. One should remember Docebo is only the LMS; it’s a catalyst for us to put out material. (And that material could be anything!) If you give users a reason to log into the instance and learn something besides Compliance, learners will see the LMS as a tool for learning and not that evil compliance training they have to take every year. Build orientation courses to streamline the onboarding process. Create simulations for company processes so learners can learn a process in a safe environment where it’s OK to make mistakes. For example: Get your course developers to create an interactive cash register course to teach front end retail associates how to properly tender a sale. If you have someone who is constantly messing up on the floor you can refer them to the training for improvement.  I even created an interactive experience for warehouse fork-truck drivers to drive around a warehouse and improve their attention to detail bringing pallets on/off the warehouse floor. I spent a bit of time getting video/still images of their actual warehouse to make it more realistic. You can post whitepapers here or upload videos of processes or events.  We; the course developers and LMS administrators need to promote these things. As a course developer, it is my job to build learner centric material that delivers a message but also brings students back over and over to get more info. Courses need to be engaging and NOT boring. They need to directly relate to the learner and what they want to learn at that moment. I am always quick to point out to managers how I can leverage training to solve problems and when senior leadership see material on the LMS they like they don’t forget. I could on for ever. The bottom line is that you need to give people a reason to log in and see something different other than Compliance. I know my employer uses Docebo for far…. far more than compliance and we do not have that mindset among our users.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Follow this series of ramblings:

Compliance is a “learning domain”. To shift teams and get them to understand that it is there for all is covered by a lot of ideas above.

I like to think of any LMS as a contribution to the ecosystem of content providers at your org? You need to show some strong basics to start…a decent integration and strong capability…decentralized role management..,ease of login and a pleasant UI/UX. The leader needs to talk about durable identities and learning profiles to give folks confidence on user management…but then? It is literally a dog and pony show around the org to get folks to buy in…my findings - you only need a few corporate champions for operational departments to buy in. What I like is the “gravity” that happens w CMS / LMS…once folk get it? Treasure troves of content and use cases can and will show itself.

An idea - whenever I internally pitch? I always have at hand a stakeholders quick start guide to make the conversation easy and explain some basic details about an LMS and how learning campaigns go…and at a high level what will move folks into their projects.

The approach does seriously work. Folks continue to get invested.

Good luck - you have a lot of good comments above