Question

Is there any way of preventing learners accessing course material until the start date of a session/event?

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Is there any way of preventing learners accessing course material until the start date of a session/event?

We are are about to launch ILT on our Docebo instance (we have been using eLearning for about 4 years).  One of the great benefits for us s that we can load course material in course shell and that will save us hours of admin time.  In our case we only sell training (no internal use case) to our external customers. we have over 500 different ILT/vILT courses

I am sure that, like many of you, the initial set of students to be enrolled on a course do not turn out to be the final students that actually attend the session/event. This leaves us with a problem. We want to add learners as early as possible in order to use the automated notifications etc.(again reducing admin) however those students who are initially enrolled can access and download the course material as soon as they are enrolled. Given that on average 25%+ turn out to be not the final students we potentially lose 25%+ of our revenue.

We cannot use any pre payment or ecommerce apps and so we are having to weigh up the lost revenue against the admin savings

I see it is possible to restrict access to material AFTER a session or restrict access to a number of days but it would make sense to me to be able to  only allow access say for a few hours BEFORE the session till a defined period after the session,

Any Ideas?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Gary Jarvis not sure if these options would work for you…

on the training materials you can set a publish date range:

and on the course, you can restrict the amount of the time the material is available after the session ends:

or perhaps a combination there of…

the first option probably won't work if the course runs with many different sessions.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

we have the same course (course shell) with dozens of sessions run in multiple countries.  the master course (shell) is added by myself and the global administrators add sessions to that course as required. The material is common to the course shell and so the date function will not help I’m afraid. The validity period does help, however I need to prevent access till (or just before) the start of each session

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I couldn’t find anything when I was having a route around yesterday.  I know in an eLearning course you can lock stuff down to be done in an order.  This would be great if in the ILT courses too.  I.e. you have to complete the session before you can access the training material.

This makes sense to me, as even if you weren’t selling the courses (ours is internal only), you wouldn’t want people accessing the follow up material before even attending the live session.

Sorry, not much help - perhaps we need to start an idea for it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Gary Jarvis I wonder if you could use the notion of Groups and Enrollment Rules or perhaps channels to control access to your content? Perhaps using one of those “other” enrollment statuses to control it; you know the ones no one uses…??

Or here’s another take on it...Learning plans have an option to delay the availability of content...maybe wrapping your ILT courses with the content in an online course and them delaying the access to that course might work? 

What we really need is an option that tells a session to delay access to content until X hours/days before the session starts; almost like the JOIN button option for virtual sessions.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

as you say “What we really need is an option that tells a session to delay access to content until X hours/days before the session starts; almost like the JOIN button option for virtual sessions.”

I am adding an ideas item please vote :)

Idea link