Issues with Course Reporting Tool. Are these normal?

• 8 June 2023
  • 2 replies

Hello,

After searching here as well as the web, I have not found anything similar to our situation and issues. I’m hoping someone can enlighten me a bit on possible idiosyncracies of Docebo and Courses.

Background: We are a member company of an association that is hosting us in an Extended Enterprise environment. Initially, I was a SuperAdmin but the association moved me to Power User after I set up our environment. We began using Docebo about six months ago. We have a semi-annual live webinar event that is required for our users (conducted on Zoom and separate from Docebo). If users don’t attend the live event, they must watch the webinar recording by a certain date or face a penalty. This year, we decided to use Docebo for its reporting features. Our users watch the webinar by self-enrolling. I run a report each week to see who has completed the course. 

Some initial settings info:

• Video is hosted on YouTube (Docebo would not let me upload)
  • Users can self-un-enroll (will not allow next time)
  • Expiration June 5 (may not set a date in the system next time)
  • No minimum time or percentage set for completion
  • No testing/SCORM (though next time we’ll implement it as proof of completion)

The situations and resulting issues

• SITUATION: On the second report I ran we had some cheaters who slid the timeline to the end and claimed completion. We reset the users to in-progress and informed them to complete the task properly. ISSUE: The following week those users disappeared from the reporting and in their learning profiles there’s no data on their enrollments or potential un-enrollment. In fact, it also shows no activity or log ins at all for them. I disabled the self-unenrollment, thinking possibly they unenrolled. But wouldn’t the system still report an enrollment and unenrollment as well as have record of logging in?

• SITUATION: The day after the deadline/expiration, management decide they wanted to extend the deadline. ISSUE: Docebo would not let me extend the deadline, giving me a warning that there was no learning material in the course. I looked and the material was still there. After trying again, I removed the material and relinked it. Then it allowed me to set a new expiration. This wasn’t expected. Is this normal?

• SITUATION: We are now the day before our final deadline and I just ran a report. ISSUE: For every user that was complete or incomplete prior to resetting the deadline, Docebo now shows 0% progress. I did check the learning profiles on a few and it shows the completion. But for reporting, this is a problem. Is this normal?

I hope somebody has some insight here. I know I learned a few things along the way. However, the issues above (disappearing users, removing and resetting learning material to reset a deadline, and not retaining user progress after deadline reset) I wouldn’t have expected and I’m not convinced that the inital settings are at fault here. Is reporting this flawed?

The association has consultants looking at the first issue of disappearing users. They looked at things from the SA perspective and confirmed what I was reporting. They were perplexed and going to look into it deeper, but no info from them in over two weeks.

Thank you for reading this post and any help figuring out or pointing to possible reasons for these issues.

//pb

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @pberkery hmm, that’s a lot of information…

first thing...if you are delivering via Zoom, you should look into using Zoom V3 Docebo just launched. This will allow you to set a % attendance and tracking can be done automatically...( I haven't used it yet but am familiar with the process from another LMS I worked on using Webex -  if it works the same way it very useful).

As for reviewing recorded sessions - have you look into adding the recording directly to the session after it’s completed? This way, enrolled users who could not attend can still get credit but watching it.

For your YouTube video - did you add this as training materials? If yes, you should be able to disallow fast forwarding; you said you could not upload it...did you have the actual MP4 file? was it too large?

Not sure what to say about the expiry date - it should have nothing to do with the course content so if that was an issue you may want to log a ticket as removing and replacing the content WILL affect your reports. As does resetting users. When you do this, all tracking data is lost. Un-enrolling without a reset still maintains the data however the enrolment dates and completion dates will be changed when the user is re-enrolled and completes once again. Being enrolled is the key to reporting...if users are not enrolled, nothing appears in your reports.

Not sure I got all your points but hopefully you'll find something useful here...

Hi @lrnlab, Thank you for your response. I’m sorry. I know there’s a lot and I tried to make it clear. However, some things must not have been clear enough. I’m a former software engineer about 30 yrs of experience as a SuperAdmin and SysAdmin, but in different applications, such as antique and modern webservers, Google Admin, and also managed a Litmos LMS. Docebo seems like its own beast in many ways in comparison. 

For clarification; The webinar was held separately from Docebo. So what we have is a course, not an ILT/VILT scenario. Because the event itself was mission-critical and our user base in this case is not very familiar with Docebo yet (sales people adverse to change), we conducted the webinar solely through Zoom. I’ll look into the V3 that you mentioned for the future as we intend to go more into ILT/VILT but there are some hurdles with integrating with our Google Workspace Calendar with the association, though I’ve succesfully implemented Docebo’s Connector to our calendar in our parent company’s Docebo instance where I am SuperAdmin. This was to prove the Connector can do what we need it to do for the association, which does not have the Connector. 

I did have the MP4 and didn’t receive an error per se while uploading. It just didn’t do anything at all and I tried multiple times to upload. It was a two-hour webinar. So maybe the file size was the problem, but that was not indicated. Making matters more complicated, the association Super Admin honcho suddenly left the association without a replacement. So we were left with nobody at the helm who had more experience with Docebo than I do to help me figure this out.

Maybe resetting users wasn’t the most accurate term. I simply changed the status of the cheaters from Completed to In-Progress. I didn’t un-enroll anyone. The e-skillz consultants told me that shouldn’t have been an issue in the disappearances. Since that first incident, which was a month ago, no other users have disappeared from enrollment and records.

It seems strange that user data would be lost if learning materials had to be reset. I can imagine cases where it’s discovered that there was a corrupt file that needed to be replaced. The rest of the information on the course.

Thanks again.