Skip to main content
Best Answer

Captivate with the new Course Player UI

Is anyone using Captivate for creating their SCORM lessons and using the new UI?

The old UI had no issue. With the new UI, if you play the lesson in the default view, it will mark complete. However, if you click the icon to make the player bigger, it will not mark complete.

I have this issue in with support but it’s been over a month and they don’t have a reply yet other than saying it’s my Captivate file, which I did extensive testing and don’t believe that is the case, nor can possibly be the case when it marks complete in the standard view.  

Is anyone else using Captivate and can replicate this? Learners are frustrated.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi - by far I am not a SCORM expert. Something sounds missing or flawed with your note (please hear it isnt YOU). A question or two:

Is there a way you can try it back in the classic player????
Can you hide the “enlarge” from the player?

When you mention enlarge - I think of videos.

Video playback for example are a particular nuisance with mobile devices (as it often relies on offloading the video to the player in the mobile device) and SCOs for example. Depending on how the SCO is wired…you can land up playing the video and miss the triggers in the SCO itself. But that will happen in the old or new player (is my point)…unless you hack it.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi, thanks for a reply.  It sounds like you are not using Captivate. 

It works fine in the old player. I’ve done alot of testing. The old player didn’t have this maximize feature at all, it is new with the new UI. In the old UI, you had to choose one setting or a second setting but the user could not toggle back and forth. 

The user can now choose to “enlarge” (good word there) the player to see the content better. That’s a good thing. I want that. 

These aren’t videos, meaning mp4 files, if that is what you are referring to.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@ncattle - I have Captivate modules.

Your comment has me wondering.

I have received a few calls from folks stating that they didn’t get credit for something.

Of course, most everyone else gets credit so suspecting the state of the player as being in expanded view or collapsed view (Docebo verbage) never entered my mind as a possibility.

I will have to experiment with this a bit.

FWIW - I would refer to it as windowed or fullscreen. LOL

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi, thanks for a reply.  It sounds like you are not using Captivate. 

It works fine in the old player. I’ve done alot of testing. The old player didn’t have this maximize feature at all, it is new with the new UI. In the old UI, you had to choose one setting or a second setting but the user could not toggle back and forth. 

The user can now choose to “enlarge” (good word there) the player to see the content better. That’s a good thing. I want that. 

These aren’t videos, meaning mp4 files, if that is what you are referring to.

Thanks @ncattle - I have used Captivate extensively in the past, albeit it has been a little now - and I do like to keep a pulse on learning authoring tech. I was referring to videos embedded in a SCORM file is where I have had a challenge or two in the mobile space and completions related to it. A question - is the challenge with Captivate “classic” or the newer authoring tool?

A proposal - with Captivate classic - we used to do a few things to improve communications during testing - there is a setting where you could make the output file be a bit more verbose with the LMS. That worked when we had a few challenges.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

A fair point here about the “New” Captivate. I don’t use that.

All the modules I have online now were made with Captivate 2019 - Not Classic, and not New

I won’t install the classic and won’t use the new.

I am actually transitioning to ActivePresenter - LOVING it!

I will still see if there is any issues related to our Captivate modules and the Expanded view but I cannot provide an “apples to apples” comparison if you are indeed on Captivate 12 (NEW)

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

A fair point here about the “New” Captivate. I don’t use that.

All the modules I have online now were made with Captivate 2019 - Not Classic, and not New

I won’t install the classic and won’t use the new.

I am actually transitioning to ActivePresenter - LOVING it!

I will still see if there is any issues related to our Captivate modules and the Expanded view but I cannot provide an “apples to apples” comparison if you are indeed on Captivate 12 (NEW)

Hey @gstager I think Captivate 2019 is now being branded as classic.I maybe wrong…maybe.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@dklinger 

I used 11.5.xx

The most recent 11.8.xx became branded as classic and they stripped some functionality.

It also became a bit more buggy so I stayed at 11.5

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

We use Captivate but haven’t turned the new course player on yet, but I have tried a few times to replicate this but no luck yet. I will keep testing though.

I know you’ve probably already tested the settings in Captivate, but in a different LMS we had occasional issues with courses not marking as complete, but it largely cleared up when we ticked all three boxes in ‘LMS Advanced Settings’ (File > Preferences > Quiz > Reporting > Advanced).

(The boxes checked are:

Send Data On Every Slide

Never Send Resume Data

Escape Version and Session ID).

Most of my courses are in Captivate 2019 though so if you’re in a different version that might not be helpful at all.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

….

(The boxes checked are:

Send Data On Every Slide

Never Send Resume Data

Escape Version and Session ID).

Most of my courses are in Captivate 2019 though so if you’re in a different version that might not be helpful at all.

These are the ones I was talking about @ncattle - the send data on every slide seemed to work in our favor.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m still on Captivate version  2019, 11.8...  That reminds me that I did upgrade to 11 something at one point and we reverted back because they removed the Preview xx slides feature.  I won’t go to v12 until at least they bring back the ability to preview slides.  For software simulations there is not much to switch for right now for me.  I get what they are doing -- trying to update and compete.  It sounds like they will get there at some point.  Just not yet for me.  Great for new people perhaps. Time will tell.  

@dklinger @Katzen Clicking those boxes worked on my Sandbox!!!  I’ll test on Production to be sure it’s good there, but I’m sure that will work there too. Thank you so much!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

…..will get there at some point.  Just not yet for me.  Great for new people perhaps. Time will tell.  

@dklinger @Katzen Clicking those boxes worked on my Sandbox!!!  I’ll test on Production to be sure it’s good there, but I’m sure that will work there too. Thank you so much!

See? us old timers know whatsa we are talkin about. 🤣 You are very welcome.

You may want to keep an eye on what window you have your courses popping up in as well...that’s a something else you can control.