Best Answer

Difference between Channel and Playlist

• 19 March 2024
  • 7 replies

Hi community,

I’m trying to understand the difference between a channel and a playlist, from a superadmin perspective.

At the moment, we are using channels to share job aids with learners for easy access. From my understanding, playlist is part of a channel - each user can go into the channel and create their own playlist.

My questions are:

1. Did I understand correctly, that a playlist is a function within a channel? My manager seems to think a playlist is a separate feature from a channel we can activate.
  2. If I create a playlist in a channel (as a Superadmin), how can I have it visible to all users in that channel?

Thank you in advance!

icon

Best answer by lrnlab 19 March 2024, 14:50

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Playlists are a function available to users who can gather up courses, channel assets and their own content (posted to a channel) in a single place. They can be private or shared. E.g.: A manager can create a playlist off courses and assets and share out with their employees. It isn't anything you need to turn ON.

https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020126279-Creating-and-managing-playlists

Thank you for the reply!

Is there any value, to your opinion, in setting up playlists (as a Superadmin) and share with the learners? 

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

depends on what you want to share, etc. Keep in mind that whatever you as a user or admin post to a channel automatically gets added to your playlist; not sure why it works this way but it does. Make sure you add the “My Channel” page to your menu(s) or have a link to it somewhere. You will need it.

Userlevel 2

Thank you for the reply!

Is there any value, to your opinion, in setting up playlists (as a Superadmin) and share with the learners? 

Thank you!

We recently created a channel for new hires that includes 25+ links to resources. There was value here in setting up some playlists within this channel to organize the links and provide learners a “recommended path” for viewing the resources. Playlists are a great way to organize your channel content.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Looks like lrnlab has provided you with all the info you really need, but I just wanted to give a warning that all we have ever experienced with playlists are trouble. They seem to have problems often, and in my opinion cause more grief than they’re worth.  Users also seem to have a lot of trouble figuring out how to access their playlist after they’ve created it. So definitely run a lot of tests if you decide to go that route.

Userlevel 1

From my perspective, I think of channels as a broader topic with lots of nutrient rich content. Playlists can be sub areas under that topic that people may want quick access too.

We have also made playlist to support courses users may be interested in so they can access the materials with other colleagues who many have not taken the course and get additional knowledge from the Ask the Experts and comments on a wider scale. I also feel it is easier to access a playlist for materials and resources over a course (yea know, less clicks).

I hope this is helpful and supports you!

I like your idea @jordandb - going to play around with this!

We use channels in the same manner that you do @SD Smith and we have shown the playlists to employees as a way for them keep the job aids that use frequently in one place. This allows them to keep job aids from different channels in one place as well.

We compared it to a favorites list in Google.