Best Answer

Confluence (Atlassian) Integration

• 28 June 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has successfully integrated Confluence resources into the Docebo platform and if they had any examples of best practices?

We host a range of resources and documentation on Confluence and are looking for a way to push content directly into Docebo (or host from the lms) so that we don’t have to duplicate resources/workload. These are predominantly resources for people to view/browse rather than specific learning objects.

If anyone has any examples of using the Docebo Connect tools/API to achieve this or simply the tools already available in the platform to host external resources from Confluence I’d be ever so grateful to view and learn about them!

Tagging in some senior members for their input - thanks all!

@lrodman @Bfarkas @gstager 

Thanks

icon

Best answer by John 28 June 2023, 21:27

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@James A - we have looked into this request a few times in the past, purely from a basic concept validation perspective and drafted up as a custom scoped integration through Connect, Clients can certainly take on this workflow manually or via the API alone (without Connect). Forewarning, there are some steps so to see the full breakdown I would recommend talking further with you Customer Success Manager or Account Manager to start the conversation.

High level view, the below screen shots are some highlights from a general solution blueprint around what we’ve proposed before for Confluence < > Docebo integrations:

Important requirements and considerations (out of scope items):

Saving a few more slides (see your CSM for more details or DM me), the end solution and Training Material object in Docebo would be an xAPI/TinCan one. So the “manual step”, or automated one, is to align and add Confluence asset/article URL’s as an xAPI launch point and training material in Docebo, more or less. :)

Remain available for questions if you have them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I have not worked with Confluence at all.

You mention that it is mostly for viewing/browsing.

Would there be some sort of log in requirement?

The thought of iFraming some of those pages in came to mind but I realize that may not quite work in your situation.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@gstager - Yeah, the idea here is that since Confluence doesn’t track a metric per individual we cannot really confirm the asset has been consumed by said person. So, we assume the material is not something necessarily that needs to be tracked but more a reference in this use case.

Due to Atlassian’s same origin policy, it’s pretty much a hard stop on the iFrame potential. Some discussion here as other LMS admins have inquired around similar:

The one problem I see with using xAPI/Tin Can object is that it does expect a communication back on completion events, to be marked completed in Docebo. Unfortunately, at least in my view, there’s no good solution here if Confluence won’t indicate in some way the object has been seen. Even if it could be done I’m not sure the value would outweigh the effort to implement. (I can see it becoming very technical with some custom xAPI package, especially if you are trying to also manage authentication in the same flow of the user accessing the asset.)

To solve for the completion, you could select another training material in the course as the end object marker and know that all the “reference” Confluence docs would just be either not started or in-progress user activities depending.

Which brings us to SSO. In the above that I posted, it is assumed that Docebo would not be handling any aspect of that and instead rely on the user to either already be logged in or log in once linked out from the course.

Userlevel 2

Hi @John,

Apologies for such a late response to this but this has been extremely helpful. We explored the connector route but it didn’t offer the functionality that we’re after (creating a learning asset/course wouldn’t work for our user-case). However, some of the options listed from the thread you’ve posted we are going to be exploring. One is an embedder tool listed on the Atlassian marketplace page:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1217536/embedder-for-confluence?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

and the second option will entail playing around with the iframe settings in Confluence itself.

I’ll report back here on our findings and whether an integration was possible.

Thanks again,