Has anyone deployed a “fake branded app”?

• 9 January 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

We are having tons of trouble with the app and branded mobile app and are considering going browser only and no longer supporting the mobile app - sadly. 

Has anyone built an “app” that just opens the browser based site in-app? This would give us a similar user experience for those using our current app, while avoiding the headache of the Docebo apps. 

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I had begun working on this before changing roles, to help avoid so many of the negative things of trying to support both. Should be a pretty simple web wrapper essentially and then just some different deep links and fixing some things.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Would it be possible to make the app capture links? That is, if someone clicks a link to in.leadingre.com in their email, have it open our wrapper not their browser.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Would it be possible to make the app capture links? That is, if someone clicks a link to in.leadingre.com in their email, have it open our wrapper not their browser.

Hmm, might have to get creative with that. Couple thoughts are bring to mobile site and have a widget directing folks to the app (would need one of the scripting illegal workarounds to get it to auto detect) or, can you use a different subdomain that pushes a redirect? So it is not the exact link of the LMS, but gets them there?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@lrodman Do you definitely need some kind of mobile app? We have never deployed the app and our users seem to be doing fine using their mobile browser of choice.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

^Agreed. The only real advantages were offline content and potential for push notifications. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Really just branding and push for us. Don’t care much about offline though it is nice - would be more useful on laptops tbh. 

I do think getting my own icon on someone’s phone probably increases their utilization.