LRS vs LMS

• 15 June 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2

Hello community,

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to school me on the utility of an LRS vs an LMS and how, if I identified a value add, I could go about incorporating and LRS into Docebo. My hope is that I can license out my CBTs to external groups that they then post on their own internal LMS. However, this information is somehow communicated to my LMS (Docebo) with very limited interaction points. If what I am saying sounds confusing, that is because I am a behavior analyst by trade and new to this world. Any help would be appreciated! 

Oh, and I am not looking to buy another integration at the moment. I am looking to understand the process to make an informed decision.

Thanks in advance,

Seth 

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Seth Clark - hi. This can be an involved answer, but an LRS vs an LMS are very different. High level, if you have a Learning Record Store that you can have xAPI statements sent to? Then you can collect activity on those courses.

You actually dont need to incorporate an LRS into Docebo - it has one as well as an endpoint.

But start higher level - whats the goal and what are your trying to achieve? Are you looking to publish the course over in A and have a record of it over in B? Are you looking to “dispatch” your learning to other sites in a type of cost/deployment model?

Userlevel 2

@dklinger Thank you for that. Yes, I am trying to model some of my material very similar to what American Heart Association or Pediatric Learning Solutions does. Essentially, they contract with hospitals to allow them to host their e-learning content on their organization's LMS. Some time the model requires keys (per user) and other times it is just a flat fee with unlimited use. I am looking for a way, if at all possible, for me to still track people taking the course that doesn’t require the organization to dump the data monthly into an SFTP. For example, if I take the online BLS course through AHA, it is posted on our LMS. However, when I open the file, I am taken to their online e-learning content. I don’t necessarily need a host page at the moment, but I still want to track user interaction with my course material even when it is access through their LMS. I would be fine if this data is stored our other integrations like Smartsheets or an LRS. And to your second question, it is both to bring down costs to my customers, but it is also to prevent work overload for my LMS coordinator. We train hospitals that have 10,000 employees who will use our e-learning content. While I would like them all to go through Docebo, that is not likely to happen as it is rate limiting for a big organization like that. 

Does this make sense? Like I said, I am new to the game.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Seth Clark - I did this game with a workforce of 43K and a health system. Just a splash in the pan in terms of workforce scale.

Many times folks work with something called skinny SCOs and a software that helps to “dispatch” and deploy learning to other LMSs. Check out Rustici software for this - they are literally the best at the game with what I see as the most stable approach. In the past, you were consuming stuff off of AICC servers that could get sketchy. Rarely would I work with publishers that supported LRSs in my tenure of working with “farsite” catalogs.

Rustici also can redirect you to a facet of their group (that I believe broke out sometime ago) where they support a “free” essentials LRS. All you need to do is:

• learn how to get your xAPI statements into it
  • know how to get reporting out of it - or you will get caught up in retrieving data from it (or counting on a reporting tool that they do sell for it)

And you can be in business. Good luck with this. DM with me if you want to chat more.