Best Answer

SCORM authoring software

• 30 November 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2

We are doing some research into authoring tools and I’m leaning toward Articulate 360. We’re also looking at UDUTU. 

Any other suggestions?

Does anyone know what authoring tool was used for Docebo University? I really love the layout, flow, and user-friendliness of how it’s laid out.

THANKS!

icon

Best answer by dklinger 1 December 2021, 03:50

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hi there,

I use Articulate 360 suite of tools in particular Rise 360 and Storyline 360 - they are both excellent and allow you to create some amazing products.

Cheers

JK

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @D2Sjason - those are mostly Rise 360 courses up there in University.

***The next few pieces are purely recommendations of someone that has been in the business for over 15 years of generating eLearning in one form or another and has travelled far and wide for decent solutions***

I think really taking a decent look at who is going to be your authors to consider what your tools should be concentrating on is key. That being said….

•  If you are looking at cloud based solutions - take a look at EasyGenerator.
  • Articulate products are really good and a portion of the old standbys that are in my developers bag of tricks - but take a look at Adobe products too. Adobe Captivate is an oldie in the area but a  goodie.

If I can recommend? Avoid being sold on other LCMS or LMS types of services that come along with some authoring tools today. Content generation belongs in one space...and learning management/tracking belongs in another space. “They” blend them today because of the use of Learning Record Stores to help track content. The problem is? Well if you are here? You are here because of an enterprise based solution that shines in specializing in the tracking of training. By blending and making content generating solutions sometimes the authoring becomes “softer”,and its my opinion that the consumer that is discovering can get caught up on the “wrong” functions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

To be fair, just as a quality painting is a product of the artist not the canvas - I think that a quality course is a product of the designer not the authoring software. I have seen examples of quality work using many different tools over the years.

Personally, I am an advocate for Captivate because of the flexibility I have to create interactive content. Many will complain about the learning curve and dated looking UI but do not be fooled. It is an extremely powerful tool. It would be a rare event that I find something which cannot be accomplished with Captivate.

Userlevel 2

We use Edapp and H5p. Both are compatible with Docebo.

Userlevel 1

We are doing some research into authoring tools and I’m leaning toward Articulate 360. We’re also looking at UDUTU. 

Any other suggestions?

Does anyone know what authoring tool was used for Docebo University? I really love the layout, flow, and user-friendliness of how it’s laid out.

THANKS!

Most of the Docebo University Course Content I looked at was built using RISE 360, although for some of their newer material, they are starting to use SHAPE.

We have a pretty small education team and they were quickly able to transition into using RISE for course authoring. I would definitely encourage you to have a strong look at that one. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

To be fair, just as a quality painting is a product of the artist not the canvas - I think that a quality course is a product of the designer not the authoring software. I have seen examples of quality work using many different tools over the years.

Personally, I am an advocate for Captivate because of the flexibility I have to create interactive content. Many will complain about the learning curve and dated looking UI but do not be fooled. It is an extremely powerful tool. It would be a rare event that I find something which cannot be accomplished with Captivate.

I hear you brotha. When someone asks me this question I typically think about the bag of tools…then I use the appropriate tool to fit the need. I tell IDs that I have driven Toyotas all of my life. Same goes for Captivate. That mix of brand loyalty and capability has always been in Adobes favor. I got introduced to an amazing ID like 4 years ago who tilted my shop with sheer talent and the tool of choice was Storyline. To remain relevant and to help with debugging? I pushed myself into Storyline and Articulate products. I have gained more competence ever since and now I see one as a hammer, the other a screwdriver..,and apply the right tool / template to the right problem….heck I use Camtasia and Adobe Presenter as well when it’s needed. It’s all good.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

...heck I use Camtasia and Adobe Presenter as well when it’s needed.

Absolutely! I am a huge Camtasia advocate as well. Camtasia and Captivate fill two very different roles in my arsenal.

I like to sometimes make the comparison to the “All-In-One” printer that will copy, scan, fax, print, etc versus a separate copier, scanner, fax machine, printer. The “All-In-One” can save some desk space and be good enough to fill a need but sometimes you need to invest in a product that is designed to do one thing and do it really well. That’s Camtasia.

While Captivate has the ability to capture the screen… Camtasia is the superior product when it comes to that task. If all I need is a video - Camtasia it is. If I need interactivity - Captivate it is.

Bottom line… I have a toolbox full of tools - not just a single tool.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

We use Edapp and H5p. Both are compatible with Docebo.

:thumbsup_tone2: Love H5P - been looking for an excuse to use them. Are you aware of their freebie export to SCORM Lumi?