What is the best way to set up weekly recurring quizzes?

• 11 November 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hello! I’m wondering what is the best way to set up weekly recurring quizzes in Docebo. I have some thoughts, but I’d like to get some ideas from the community! 

Requirements:

1. I’d like to keep this in a single course so that 1) the link never changes and 2) I don’t want to flood the course management with weekly courses for each quiz. 
  2. I’d like to send notifications to complete the quiz every week - likely based on the learner has yet to complete course notification. Going back to my first point, I think this would require me to either 1) manually change users enrollment status from complete to enrolled every week or 2) add a secondary SCORM object that would make the course impassable. Basically, this would allow users to complete the quiz, but the course would stay in progress thereby always triggering the notification.
  3. Instead of reporting on the course, I’d report on the specific quizzes within the course using the training material report. 

Sample process:

1. Create course
  2. Add week 1 quiz
  3. Users enroll and complete the quiz
  4. Add week 2 quiz > users get a notification to complete
  5. Users return and complete the quiz
  6. Add week 3 quiz > users get a notification to complete
  7. Users return and complete the quiz

Am I overthinking this? Is there a more obvious solution?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hmm, isn’t the course going to complete when they complete the first quiz? How would you have the user keep track of what is still to do then/how would you know easily?

Userlevel 3
Badge

I’d maybe consider using a learning plan for this. It would end up being separate courses, but everything would be grouped together in just one learning plan.

You could look at using the “New Content In Learning Plan” to notify users when a new quiz for the week has been added, https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/4429113070226-Notification-Events-and-Conditions#LearningPlan.NewContentInLearningPlan

To always keep the learning plan In Progress, you could include a “dummy” course that’s always under maintenance. When you’re ready to add week 3, you could remove the dummy course and replace it with the quiz. I feel like you could report on the data fairly easily this way, too.

This may just get a bit finicky, like if you hire someone new and enroll them into the learning plan, they would get enrolled into every course immediately. But in this case you could also look at course prerequisites. I personally haven’t used prerequisites, but the “postpone access to the course” sounds right?

Just a thought!

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hmm, isn’t the course going to complete when they complete the first quiz? 

I could include an “impassable” SCORM object and make it the end object marker to always keep the course in progress. The SCORM object could be something trivial like “quiz instructions” or something along those lines.

How would you have the user keep track of what is still to do then/how would you know easily?

This is a good point. Users would have to return to the course to see what quizzes were complete/incomplete. My activities would show the course as always in progress and whatever they scored on the quiz. 

Admins can view the training material report for the course to see which users completed what quizzes and what their score was.

These quizzes aren’t mandatory, which I should have stated at the top. They will serve as informal knowledge boosters that we’ll encourage folks to complete, but we won’t be standing over anyone’s shoulder to make sure they complete it.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I’d maybe consider using a learning plan for this. It would end up being separate courses, but everything would be grouped together in just one learning plan.

You could look at using the “New Content In Learning Plan” to notify users when a new quiz for the week has been added, https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/4429113070226-Notification-Events-and-Conditions#LearningPlan.NewContentInLearningPlan

To always keep the learning plan In Progress, you could include a “dummy” course that’s always under maintenance. When you’re ready to add week 3, you could remove the dummy course and replace it with the quiz. I feel like you could report on the data fairly easily this way, too.

This may just get a bit finicky, like if you hire someone new and enroll them into the learning plan, they would get enrolled into every course immediately. But in this case you could also look at course prerequisites. I personally haven’t used prerequisites, but the “postpone access to the course” sounds right?

Just a thought!

I really like the idea of the “New Content in Learning Plan” notification. You raise a good point about new hires being in enrolled in many courses though. I’m not sure I’ll take this route for this particular project, but I can think of a few other projects I’m working on where this would be useful. Thank you!