Renew Certification link?

• 15 February 2024
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 3

Hi everyone,

I would be interested to hear what workarounds others have put in place where users are selecting the Renew Now widget multiple times?

I find the 'Renew certification' link in the course a much better option than directing a user to My Activities > Certification > Renew Now.

It would be great if this link could be added to the certification reminder notification instead of sending them to the Renew your certification page, but I have very little experience with CSS and don't know if this is something that's possible?

Have you encountered similar issues with certification renewals and what works best for you?

Jo :)

14 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I have used two different methods. 

1. Task Widget on a page with the Certification tab, sometimes on the certification tab.
    We did need to do some CSS because the default message is not applicable to certifications and sends the wrong message to users. 
  2. Button on a page with a link directly to My Activities > Certification, where they can select renew. 

I have implemented this recently, the addition of archive course enrollments has made it feasible. We haven’t had enough time to see valid outcomes yet. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I’m really looking forward to this Certification and Retraining functionality update. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@joanne.gerard if you are OK using HTML you can easily code your “renew now” button in the notificaitons to go to a specific course (using the href tag) however you would then need 1 notification for each course. Or you can include instructions for users to go back to whatever course they need to complete to renew the certification.

Userlevel 3

I am using the new training widget that includes certifications on our landing page. But, yes, employees still click the big button and get confused & upset when their hard work zeros out. 😒 This widget is a double edged sword because, it’s easy to get to, yet always has a notification button, so employees think they constantly have something that requires their attention. See button; click button. 

I’ve done a couple things. 

1. In the reminder emails, I take the time to spell out that they should only click this button when they are ready to renew their certification & I point out that every time they click it they will lose all training progress.
  2. Using the Localization feature, I changed the name of the button to read “Archive Old & Renew Now.” 
  3. I’ve joined the Certifications group in Docebo to help shape how this feature works. 

Userlevel 3

@joanne.gerard if you are OK using HTML you can easily code your “renew now” button in the notificaitons to go to a specific course (using the href tag) however you would then need 1 notification for each course. Or you can include instructions for users to go back to whatever course they need to complete to renew the certification.

This is what I thought would be the case.  We have a number of courses with certification, so it’s something to consider.

We will probably go with the 2nd option for now too, thanks!

Userlevel 3

I am using the new training widget that includes certifications on our landing page. But, yes, employees still click the big button and get confused & upset when their hard work zeros out. 😒 This widget is a double edged sword because, it’s easy to get to, yet always has a notification button, so employees think they constantly have something that requires their attention. See button; click button. 

1. In the reminder emails, I take the time to spell out that they should only click this button when they are ready to renew their certification & I point out that every time they click it they will lose all training progress.
  2. Using the Localization feature, I changed the name of the button to read “Archive Old & Renew Now.” 
  3. I’ve joined the Certifications group in Docebo to help shape how this feature works. 

I love the idea of renaming the Renew Now button in this way. A simple fix, but definitely food for thought. 👍

Userlevel 5
Badge

::stepping onto my soap box:: 

Seriously, though, this has been a big problem. It took us a while to figure out what was happening. For us, our users are successfully renewing their certification by clicking the link in the reminder email message and starting the course.

The problem occurs when they are not able to complete the course in one sitting OR they want to return to the course to download the completion certificate. Because our users don’t go into the system every day, they find it easier to return by going back to the email that sent them there in the first place. This means they are clicking the RENEW link, returning to the Certifications screen, clicking RENEW and RE-starting their course from the beginning. 

For us, these are all compliance courses, and one of them is 2 hours long. As we have no way of restoring their progress, we have to make them start over from the beginning. Result: extremely unhappy learners who disengage further in voluntary learning in the system.

We are just starting to try and find ways to combat this, and are starting with the notification. We are adding an instruction that includes a link to the “In Progress” view for “if you are attempting to return to complete the course...” and are putting that FIRST because … nobody reads. The link to the certification renewal will be second. 

What would help from a system standpoint:

• The ability to have a custom notification for each certification. Right now, it’s one notification for all certifications, so we can’t provide a direct link to the course.
  • A check from the system side that notes whether or not they are already in progress with a qualifying course, with an associated pop-up message asking if they want to start over or continue.
  • The ability to restore an archived record, including their progress in the course for that record.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@JGildea I’m having the same problem. We are using the Task List certification tab on a page to provide the user with status of their current certifications and an easy way to renew. We also need an easy way to have them continue the certification renewal that is obvious to the user on the page. 

Userlevel 5
Badge

@JGildea I’m having the same problem. We are using the Task List certification tab on a page to provide the user with status of their current certifications and an easy way to renew. We also need an easy way to have them continue the certification renewal that is obvious to the user on the page. 

Yes! We are also using the Task List Certification Tab, but learners get confused by the RENEW button showing even if the certificate is good for another year. Wouldn’t it be great if we could set a timeframe for the RENEW button to show? 

For example - For each certification, enter a # of days before the certification expires. So, for a specific compliance course, we could set 30 days and the Renew button wouldn’t show until then. Instead, perhaps an indicator that they’re good to go. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Yes! We are also using the Task List Certification Tab, but learners get confused by the RENEW button showing even if the certificate is good for another year. Wouldn’t it be great if we could set a timeframe for the RENEW button to show? 

For example - For each certification, enter a # of days before the certification expires. So, for a specific compliance course, we could set 30 days and the Renew button wouldn’t show until then. Instead, perhaps an indicator that they’re good to go. 

Yes, this was included in the survey for the Certification update. Looks like we need two buttons on the Certification task widget, renew and revisit. I do like the suggestion to change the renew button to “Archive Old & Renew Now.” ​​​​​@joanne.gerard suggested. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Love the renaming of the button- great idea. Thank you!

Userlevel 1

This is complete and utter genius here. I’ve had SO many users restart their progress unwittingly because of the ‘see it-click it’ mentality. Thanks for the idea; this will help in the interim until a better solution is found.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

We simply don’t use certifications and retraining - yet!

This is because of the way it is handled with deleting data.

Userlevel 5
Badge

I am now in the middle of a project to leverage our HRIS as a workaround so that we can stop using certifications until these issues are resolved. 

We’re going to send a report to the HRIS with the courses and completion dates. The HRIS will perform calculations that Docebo cannot do to determine someone’s compliance status on the courses (Compliant, In Renewal Period, Past Due/Out of Compliance). Those statuses will be passed back to Docebo into new additional fields that will then be used to populate groups that will then trigger enrollment rules to enroll employee into annual versions of each course.

(I wouldn’t need to leverage the HRIS if Docebo could populate groups based on an ability to compare or calculate using date fields.)

Wish us luck!