Automatically Update a Users custom field?

• 3 November 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

This is a long shot…. But Is there way to set up some sort of flow

To automatically update a custom field on a users profile summary once they complete a certain course? 

Problem

We host graduations for our users who have completed coursework every 12ish weeks. And the data is getting unwieldy to manage in Excel.  So I was thinking if I could get a list of my users who have already graduated I could pull those folks courses out quickly  to make it easy to follow… 

I have a secondary idea that could work, following graduation upload the users into Docebo and update the custom field on their profile. 

Are there any other ideas for pulling a report of users and completed courses to see where they are in your learning plan? 

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I think I need more information. I’m not sure I understand why you’d need user additional fields here, when you can define groups using enrollment status based conditions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Don't think there is any function that will automatically write to a custom field so your options are limited to updating the field by some mechanism. You can do a manual upload of course or if you have a server that can handle reports and potentially write a script that would look to se what course(s) a user has completed and based on that generate a repot that can be automatically loaded into the LMS...

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

@Ian Is there a way to generate a report where you can exclude based on certain conditions? Or could include the groups that user belongs to? 

We have a group flow that essentially goes

Accepted > Enrolled> Started> Completed

I’d like to generate a report that allows me to quickly filter our our completed, so I can direct communications towards my enrolled and started users.

The challenge is you don’t seem to leave the group. 

So by the time the user has completed they’re still listed in all four groups. ..

I am sure there is a different way to do it that would be easier to manage but here’s what I’m doing.

Downloading a report of all of the users enrolled in a learning plan all time

Downloading a report that includes users progress in the 12 courses that are part of that learning plan. 

Creating an excel report that uses vlook up so I can see my users and what courses they have completed Something like that…. 

The users information are in columns to the left and the additional courses that are not listed are in columns to the right. 

I hav gotten pretty quick at updating this report on a biweekly basis the issue is I have 300 users who have already graduated so I have 300 rows of unecessary data for each Vlookup formula that has to be processed.. and while this works for now, the file is already starting to struggle and we’re hoping to have about 600 new users each year… so in a few years this thing will hit it’s limit. 

Does Docebo have a way to create this custom report for me? If not, what’s an easy way to filter out my completed users from this report so my report doesn’t get as bogged down? 

My thought was to create a custom field and then include that field in the report, then once I have the report I can sort by my custom field and remove the rows from users I don’t need. 

If anyone can see a better more efficient way to accomplish this I’m all ears! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

The challenge is you don’t seem to leave the group

I’d probably need to see the specific definition of the group(s) to comment, but I just tested a group which had the conditions: Enrollment in Course X = “Enrolled” or “In Progress”. I enrolled in course X, and was added to the group. I set my enrollment to complete, and I was removed from the group.

You can filter a report to only include members of specific groups. My understanding is that with New Reports, there can be a bit of lag, but over time the logic should be sound. I wonder if that lag explains your conclusion that “you don’t seem to leave the group”, or if it’s more to do with the way your groups are configured in the first place.

Anyway, I’ll leave it at that for now, in case this already helps, and before I get too bogged down wrapping my head around your Excel report. Hope that’s OK!

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

The last time I changed enrollment setting in my instance, we broke it. It was a nightmare… I am not sure I have the stomach to change our enrollment rules

This enrollment rule gets them into the next step of their learning plan… so I am afraid to change it.. 

We also don’t have an enrollment rule for people who have previously graduated… so I do think my custom field idea would work… I have to reupload the graduating users to Salesforce anyway to track progress… so I can upload them in to Docebo with their new field.

In theory if I uploaded a list of existing users with just Username and my custom field it shouldn’t affect their other fields. Correct? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

OK, but enrollment rules and groups aren’t the same thing, even though enrollment rules typically use groups. You don’t have to touch the existing groups if that might have some nasty consequences for your enrollment rules. You can instead make new groups for the purposes of filtering your reports.