Content version not updating in central responitory

• 8 March 2024
  • 8 replies

I have adobe captivate content and it has short videos in it. When I  try to update the version, it does not show the revised version and only a few the videos are working. it’s in a scorm format and have tried at least 6 times.  any advise/help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

chris

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge

@cpalazzi To clarify, you are not seeing SCORMs update when you upload a new version to your Docebo platform?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@cpalazzi Could I get a bit more information?

1. When you publish from Captivate, what “protocol” are you using? AICC, SCORM, xAPI, etc.
  2. What was the ‘protocol’ of the prior version?
  3. When you upload, are you telling the CR to create a new version, or overwrite the existing?
  4. Where are you testing? In the Learner view from the CR? in a test account? in the admin account?
  5. What types of changes did you make in Captivate?
  6. Are your videos embedded, or uploaded into your Captivate file?

Thanks!

yes, that is correct. it’s a captivate scorm file.

I have checked all the extensions that are not compatible and none are in there.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

1, publishing in scorm

1. uploading a new version and deleting the old one. When uploaded, I preview and some captivate videos are not loading. 
  2. testing in the live system. I enroll in the course. 
  3. Captivate changes- exit button was changed to “exit” and reporting was changed to 80% view and pass quiz
  4. Videos are uploaded into the course content.  Add media> choose video> insert

any help is greatly appreciated. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

yes, that is correct. it’s a captivate scorm file.

I have checked all the extensions that are not compatible and none are in there.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I’m happy to help; the detailed questions above will help me understand your situation. If you can provide that info it will really help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@cpalazzi Thank you for the details! A couple of ideas come to mind...

Is the version of SCORM the same as the previous? If not, I’d suggest you try a different course shell as a test. For example, if the first version was SCORM 1.2, and now you are using SCORM 2004/v3, then things could go awry.

Are the videos really large? If you created the videos yourself, did you encode them with h.264? Is the audio compression really high?

If you videos buffer a lot that’s an indication that they are not streaming well, and you may be better served by posting the video to something like Vimeo or YouTube, and then EMBEDDING the video into the course. Uploading videos directly into a course can be very problematic.

You are the best!   first version is scorm 1.2 as well as the new versions.  I can try a different course shell.

videos are 2-10 minutes and there are 6 of them. How do you encode them with h.264? I can reduce the audio compression.

so when you say embedd the videos, can you describe steps to do that?

You are a rock start. really appreciate your expertise

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@cpalazzi 

Encoding video is an art unto itself, and Adobe should have a lot of resources to do a deep dive on the topic.

How are the videos created? Are they just screen captures in Captivate, or are you building them in something like Premiere, and then using Media Encoder to encode the video?

Most videos are encoded into a “video shell” called .mp4. Within that shell you can sometimes set the encoding ‘type’ to h.264. You may/may not be able to specifically select it, depending on how sophisticated your video production tools are.

Embedding videos means that you are first uploading the video to a site (like Vimeo or YouTube) that are designed to stream video. (The LMS servers do ok in a pinch, but it sounds like your videos might be a bit too much.) After you upload the .mp4 to Vimeo (for example), you look on the site for its “embed code”. This is an URL that directs the Captivate file to load the video from Vimeo. Here’s a document about finding/using an embed code from Vimeo https://help.vimeo.com/hc/en-us/articles/12426259908881-How-do-I-embed-my-video. When you use an embed code, you DON’T upload the video to your Captivate file, which reduces the file size and makes it easier for the course to buffer. You’ll have to check Captivate documentation for how to use an embed link, but I’m certain it’s possible.