Content Versioning Methods - Pros and Cons

• 31 July 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi all,

I would like to hear some feedback/call outs/ Pro’s and Con’s on the below please!

When updating/versioning SCORMS, we were advised that the Best Practice was to hide and retire the existing SCORM, and then upload the new one.  This is how we have been doing this to date when needed.  

Another method is to edit the SCORM in the repository and upload the new SCORM which then reflects a ‘V2’ in the file name.

Does anything make one method better than the other?  Do we lose any data points using one ver the other?  Does it matter which way?  Any reporting impacts?

Thanks in advance!

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Jtischler

We use the Central Repository to update our SCORM files. If the new upload is to correct small errors (typos, broken links, etc.) we don’t version it. But if the learning content has changed, then it becomes a new version. I like this approach because our business is pretty fluid and if needs be, I can quickly go back a version if I have to pull back an update.

I haven’t noticed any reporting difficulties, mostly because for us, any version qualifies as “content completed”. The Training Materials report does allow you to extract the version a user completes, but you can’t filter by version.

Considering the hide/replace approach, I’m not sure I understand the mechanics of how you’d do this (e.g., do you remove the training material from the course shell, or do you make an entirely new course shell and simple set the earlier one as ‘under maintenance’), but I can see that it would be helpful where content version was extremely critical, such as in a compliance certification scenario. You might want to really know which learners took which version. Some draw backs that might result in this approach is that reporting would need to be more complex to include all content possibilities. Also, as an administrator, it might be more complex to see at-a-glance what version you are working with.

In the final analysis, I think your operations … i.e., what happens AFTER training is complete … will impact how you manage your versions.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@KMallette thanks for the feedback.  To answer your question of the technical process, We go into the settings and check the box to mark as hidden and then also set the expiry date of the content to today.  Then we load the new SCORM as usual.  Admins will see two different training items in the Training Material tab however only the new one is active. Users only see the active training item. The older item is greyed out which indicates hidden from the learner view. 

Thats what I am curious about is if one method vs the other obscures or loses any data points in reporting.  I want to be sure we capture as much data as possible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi - lots to consider.

Take a look at these articles to start:

https://community.docebo.com/docebo-superadmins-46/scorm-what-is-considered-structure-3958

Take a look at my ramblings below first and keep in mind these 10 things as you get to writing up your own practices 

1. Versioning can impact the function with SCORM.
    1. Importantly, you should be very weary when you attempt to use an overwrite when there is a change in structure of the course. Structure meaning something that impacts completion criteria.
  2. Testing Testing Testing is your best friend.
    1. Learn about SCORM Cloud - it's your best friend for testing, testing, testing.
  3. When in doubt about the impact? Import a copy of the newer content and hide the other.
  4. If you have a sandbox? This is a good place to understand impact.
  5. No sandbox? Develop a few test users in production (I am gonna get someone crazy with that statement) to quickly see your changes applied to said course that is being changed.
  6. Use a naming convention that is going to help you understand what version you are at
    1. Training materials can be renamed and versioned and not just overwritten as you upload...I found it can be a hit or miss - especially with structural changes.
  7. Use the four eyes rule. It cannot be only your set of eyes that are on the course before the release to your organization.
  8. Lean into Docebo support - they can help you with debugging issues with your courses.
  9. Worst case, consider a downtime message to folks that are enrolled in the course as the course is being replaced/versioned.
  10. Opinion - The central repository was the way only way to go for managing content - to avoid digging into course containers that you may not have access to (based on the way permissions are established). Some of this has eased up with Powerusers now having the ability to access and work with the CLOR.