Question

CSS Hide Admin Menu

• 18 October 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello Everyone, 

Does anyone know how we can hide portions of the Admin Menu to Admins?  We would like to hide the entire Apps section as well as Settings.  Only leaving the eLearning options open to a group of Admins?  Is this a possibility through CSS? 

Thank you.  

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The apps should be invisible to power-users. If people only need e-learning options, I would make them power-users.

More granular superadmin options would be lovely.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Power Users don't have access to the Central Repository.  This is a big part of why I am asking if anyone has done this or has ideas about this.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ah, we don’t use the CLOR. Supposedly that’s “coming soon”.

CSS per-user isn’t possible as far as I’m aware, but I’d love to be wrong.

Userlevel 7
Badge

@kferguson Thank you for submitting your question to the community! @lrodman is correct, there is not currently a way to apply custom CSS to the view of different users. It is also true that there is not currently a way to hide areas of the admin menu from Superadmins.

If the main blocker here is that Power Users cannot access the Central Repository, I would suggest you lend your voice to this idea thread. We would love to get feedback specific to your use case: 

Userlevel 3
Badge

@elliott.vickrey Thank you for responding.  I have already upvoted.  I was informed that there was a way to custom CSS the menu per admins within a group.  That may be incorrect.  Just trying to get creative as the solution for Power Users has not yet been rolled out for CLOR.  Thank you for your feedback, looks like I will have to wait.  :/

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

The CSS in the system applies to all users the same, the only way I’ve seen this done before involves a small set of admins very comfortable with CSS. Basically you hide the menu item for everyone, and then those admins use browser tools to unhide them during their session, but you have to do it each time.

I suppose you could try having bookmarks set of the deep link to the tools you are hiding as well and not deal with the unhiding. You could also set those links up on a custom page I suppose that is only on those particular admin’s menus for those admin to access and only see. Just keep in mind it all just hurdles, it won’t actually prevent the admins from accessing if they get a link or go to that custom page which they would be able to get to.  Not perfect or great but could technically get you there. I would just encourage, I am much more a fan of proper education and what to avoid for users when given access rather than these types of speedbumps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Oh! Yes, deeplinks could work… interesting.