Best Answer

CSV Upload to Mark Courses Complete for Users

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi, I’m brand new to Docebo. My company is in the middle of onboarding and we are working on moving our data from another LMS.

I searched on the KnowledgeBase but couldn’t locate what I’m looking for.

Is there a way to upload a CSV with a list of users and courses they completed previously? This would be helpful so that data transfers to our Docebo LMS without having to enroll them and mark them complete manually.

icon

Best answer by Stephanie Dreiling 12 May 2021, 21:20

View original

45 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello everyone!  And yes, @rebeccam , thank you for this suggestion.   

We ran into challenges at the OATH section and cant get the tool as stated to connect.  However, we are using a tool called integrator.io which seems to do much of the work for you including parsing your own file.  With that said, we are trying a single file with a single record in it to make sure it works.  However, we keep getting the following error:

Here is my CSV file as it exists before we import it:

If anyone has any idea what I’m missing here, love to hear your thoughts!  

If we can get it to work, happy to share how we set up the Integrator.IO app as it was really easy and seems to create the flows for you!

Eric Fields

ChenMed

Userlevel 3

Hi @eefields, the course_id parameter refers to the course code, not the unique ID generated by docebo.

Userlevel 3

@eefields, sorry, re-looked at the file. I would suggest removing the course id field altogether!

Userlevel 1

Well, the integrator.io app was finally successful.  The problem it had was it was not allowing for headers in the file.  Once we took those out, it ran. HOWEVER, we don’t see a result of the person being enrolled or granted a completion.  

So then I returned to the previous message and followed all your instructions.  First, we figured out why the OATH2 was not working.  WE didn’t realize that we needed to access the API browser using our own domain.  Once we did that it authorized perfectly.  HOWEVER, once we were able to run the API call following the steps, we go this error:

I thought this might being caused by our IT filtering but I was able to make the same call from my CEll which is not on our network and is not blocked by our firewall. Any other thoughts as to why we might be getting this?

Thanks again!

We would just need to other mandatory columns to the enrollment csv (1) status - subscribed, in progress, complete   AND (2) completion date w/ no HH:SS timestamp required

NOT all of us are HTML / programming savvy, so just adding these columns would allow us not to have to learn all the JSON stuff… kudos to those that know it, but it’s a bit over the heads of myself and my dept admins

Userlevel 3

@BR22LMS totally agree! this should be part of the regular enrollment csv upload for sure :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

We would just need to other mandatory columns to the enrollment csv (1) status - subscribed, in progress, complete   AND (2) completion date w/ no HH:SS timestamp required

NOT all of us are HTML / programming savvy, so just adding these columns would allow us not to have to learn all the JSON stuff… kudos to those that know it, but it’s a bit over the heads of myself and my dept admins

Agreed, in the meantime I’ve got a couple articles drafted that are designed for those who don’t know it at all and need to do this. Happy to share the draft privately if you are interested, just send me an email address in a private message to send it to 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi @rebeccam I am following along from this post as I need to know how to mass upload completions, are your directions possible without an API? Thanks!!

Userlevel 3

Hi @rebeccam I am following along from this post as I need to know how to mass upload completions, are your directions possible without an API? Thanks!!

Hi @simone.yaghi, I’m not sure how you could do this without the API unfortunately :( But I think that every docebo superadmin can access it! The link is https://(your docebo url)/api-browser/. I’m not an expert and I’d never done anything with APIs before docebo, it is definitely possible to figure out with some trial and error and lots of google searching.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @rebeccam I am following along from this post as I need to know how to mass upload completions, are your directions possible without an API? Thanks!!

Hi @simone.yaghi, I’m not sure how you could do this without the API unfortunately 😞 But I think that every docebo superadmin can access it! The link is https://(your docebo url)/api-browser/. I’m not an expert and I’d never done anything with APIs before docebo, it is definitely possible to figure out with some trial and error and lots of google searching.

Be very careful with trial and error in the api browser! You are making real changes to the platform, definitely make sure to try in a sandbox if you have or test data otherwise.

That being said, if you are going api-browser route, that is exactly what my write ups are, how to use the api-browser without knowing API’s and to do this task safely. Let me know if you are interested, happy to share the instructions.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Thanks @rebeccam and @Bfarkas! Do we know if mass update of status in a course is on the roadmap for Docebo? It would save so much time rather than changing completion status 1-1 for scenarios where we have to do this. There’s a portion of our company that don’t access computers, but we still keep their training records in our LMS.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thanks @rebeccam and @Bfarkas! Do we know if mass update of status in a course is on the roadmap for Docebo? It would save so much time rather than changing completion status 1-1 for scenarios where we have to do this. There’s a portion of our company that don’t access computers, but we still keep their training records in our LMS.

No idea, so probably not anytime soon. The step guide just takes like a list of your user ID’s and walks you through the rest, so if you had a listing of your users, would work pretty well for you.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

is that the same as the guide with the API @Bfarkas ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

is that the same as the guide with the API @Bfarkas ?

yup. you have to use the API to do this currently, no matter what someone builds on top or organizes, at some point it is using the API.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Just out of curiosity, I have built a pretty simple setup using the api to do this role of thing for some of our admins, if this was offered as a tool add-on our service for your instance, would groups be interested?

Yes, please - any assistance you can provide would be very helpful!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hello!

We don’t offer this in-platform currently, as we think it can compromise data integrity and open the door to a host of other problems if not done correctly. We do offer migration services through our professional services team, and we also expose APIs for performing various types of migrations. 

I’ve never seen an LMS not allow completions to be loaded via CSV - let’s face it, just about everything superadmins do could compromise the data integrity if we didn’t do it correctly. 

@natemadel agree with comments here...on other LMSs I’ve used, this was always an option + it included the ability to edit historical transactions. While I agree that use incorrectly, this can cause issues but then many things in the LMS fall in the same category; just think about groups and enrolments rules + notifications...we had a case were an admin registered over 110,000 users in a course and bogged down our connected systems for days...and this is just a simple power user permission.

The ability to upload, manage and sometimes delete learning history should be part of the super admin permissions - I would not expect to see this available to power users though.

Does anyone know if we have an Idea posted on this?

Userlevel 3

Just came across the same problem and wondered too if there exists already an idea. Didn’t fine one though and given the demand I see here I think it would make sense to have one.

Actually have to correct myself. 

I found this:

https://community.docebo.com/ideas/completion%2Ddates%2Don%2Dcsv%2Denrollments%2D2934

Idea has 57 votes and hopefully gets more. So everyone looking for this feature please feel free to upvote.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

that’s the only one I found as well…

you can do this action on-screen and with the improved filters it’s a little easier but the challenge comes if you have different completion dates for users in the same course...that’s when it becomes very time consuming.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Yup, in that scenario, I would go the API Browser route, no programmer knowledge needed, walk through it here:

I also have this set up and working as a pure CSV upload over on Fark.Tools if interested.

Userlevel 3

I think I found a way that is a bit easier from a technical perspective and it seems to work fine for what we needed.

Basically, what we needed to do is to mark a significant number of users who were enrolled in a course as completed, but not all of user enrolled into that course. The idea was to use the upload, but for obvious reasons that didn’t work.

So, the workaround we tested is the following. Since we have a csv file with all the usernames of the people we need to mark as completed, we created a shell course. We set this shell course as an equivalence for the course in question. Then we mass enrolled the users via csv, clicked “select all” and bulk marked them as completed. That marked them also as completed in the actual course where we needed to do the flagging. To make this work, the shell course doesn’t need to be published or anything. I also unenrolled the users afterwards from the shell course and the completion status stayed on “completed” in the target course (which means you can very likely also delete your shell course when you’re done).

Maybe that’s helpful for anyone.