Question

Deleting Courses Best Practices

• 7 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

Are there any best practices for courses that are out of date? We have been changing the course to “under maintenance,” but I do not love that the course still shows up under a users profile. I do not want to get in the habit of deleting courses just to make it go away, so wondering if anyone else had best practices in these cases!

Here is a screenshot of what it looks like in the users profile for a course under maintenance that I am not loving.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @kristirebs12 there is no ‘archive’ option. If you delete the course though, the user’s history will go with it. Is that the desired effect? If yes, I would assume this course is not important for you to track so you might think using other options to get your folks to view the content; like using Channels. This would not track anything to the user history. Not sure if that’s what you're looking to do…??

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@kristirebs12 Here’s what I do

1. Put it to Under Maintenance
  2. Change the Course code to add “z_” at the front.  This puts the course shell at the bottom of the search lists in Course Management.
  3. Add “ - Retired” to the course name
  4. Remove the the Catalogs, learning plans and channels assignments.
  5. Maybe remove the training material - depends on various situations
  6. Leave the Enrollments so I can always see who took the course.
  7. Change the Course Categories and Central Repostitory Category assignments to a folder that I call “Retired”

Hope that helps,

KMallette/Viasat, Inc.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi @kristirebs12 - I have submitted an idea for this.

Please vote for this if you haven't already 😊