Skip to main content

Note that I have read the knowledge base article Configuring Course Equivalencies but am finding the phrasing of the article confusing. 

I have an ILT Session that has been completed. No more sessions of this course are expected. I have a recording of this session that I would like to offer on a continuing basis as an eLearning course. Watching the recorded video is equivalent to having attended the ILT session. 

I have created the eLearning course, uploaded the recorded video to it, and assigned bi-directional equivalency with the ILT session. The ILT session is already over, so there are those who have self-enrolled, attended the ILT, and completed it.

If those who have completed the ILT see the recording in the catalog (as eLearning) and launch it, will it launch for them as completed, because of the equivalency I’ve set, or will it not indicate for them as completed because they had already completed the ILT session when I created the equivalent eLearning video recording? I find the knowledge base article confusing on this point.

If I want the learners who have completed the ILT to experience the eLearning recording as “completed”, should I now enroll the learners who have completed the ILT session into the recorded video eLearning course, and manually mark them complete if necessary? If possible, I would prefer not to do this, because they will receive an enrollment notification for the eLearning course that might be confusing.

Do you have other best practices for the task of hosting a video recording of an ILT session after the fact? Perhaps my workflow needs to be different in the future. 

Hi @FionaMacelli what you have created sounds it could work but agree that enrolling those who attended the ILT into the equivalent course, is not a great option. You could temporarily turn OFF your notifications for the ILT course if needed, then turn it back on after enrolments are done.

If you want to go via the enrolment route, you can set the tracking option to grant credit when the recorded session is viewed and ad the recording the ILT session. Then enroll anyone who wants to watch the recorded session but did not attend. An admin would need to do this since users cannot enrol in past sessions.

As for equivalencies. you do not have to use the bidirectional option. If you want to grant credit for the ILT session only and not the other way around, set you equivalency on the eLearning course and use the ILT course as your target (not source). This should grant credit only for those who compete the eLearning course and not affect your enrolments into the ILT course.

Hi @FionaMacelli what you have created sounds it could work but agree that enrolling those who attended the ILT into the equivalent course, is not a great option. You could temporarily turn OFF your notifications for the ILT course if needed, then turn it back on after enrolments are done.

If you want to go via the enrolment route, you can set the tracking option to grant credit when the recorded session is viewed and ad the recording the ILT session. Then enroll anyone who wants to watch the recorded session but did not attend. An admin would need to do this since users cannot enrol in past sessions.

As for equivalencies. you do not have to use the bidirectional option. If you want to grant credit for the ILT session only and not the other way around, set you equivalency on the eLearning course and use the ILT course as your target (not source). This should grant credit only for those who compete the eLearning course and not affect your enrolments into the ILT course.

If you go the toggling notifications off and on route, make sure to leave a good buffer, as I have seen folks do this and the triggers weren’t done being processed yet and they still went out.

I know I know, it’s too complex, but if you enroll via the API, there is a toggle to turn off any system notifications for that enrollment, so just adding in case someone comes along later and wants to try :)

We are trying to create almost the same scenario as @FionaMacelli; however, we have not held our ILT session yet or have any users enrolled in the ILT as of yet.  Is it best to set up the eLearning course now?

We want the learners to get credit for either the ILT or the recorded video in the eLearning course.  So, would we set up the eLearning course as the source course (ILT is the target course)?

I want to note that it would be possible that a learner who had been in attendance at the ILT session may want to watch the recorded version (eLearning course) in the future.  Would that be possible?

You want a classroom course with an ILT session set for attendance and then on the event you configure it to record credit for attending through the link or watching the recording afterwards.

You want a classroom course with an ILT session set for attendance and then on the event you configure it to record credit for attending through the link or watching the recording afterwards.

@Bfarkas Unless I’m misunderstanding your suggestion for @pross I believe the setting you’re recommending is only available for webinars, not ILT sessions.  Below are the completion options for ILT sessions, whereas under this tab of a Webinar session there is an option to set completion based on watching the recording instead.

Hi @FionaMacelli what you have created sounds it could work but agree that enrolling those who attended the ILT into the equivalent course, is not a great option. You could temporarily turn OFF your notifications for the ILT course if needed, then turn it back on after enrolments are done.

@lrnlab I would prefer not to have to manually enroll those who have attended the ILT course in the recorded version, even if I first turn off the notifications.

My question is: Would manually enrolling them in the course be necessary in order for those who have already attended the ILT to experience the “eLearning course” recorded version of that session as something they have completed? I want to have it be marked complete for attendees to make it clear that this is just a recording of the session they have already attended, not in fact a new elearning course on the same topic.

If the above workaround is necessary (I’m not sure if it is or not because I find the KB article confusing), then I would advise @pross - and myself in the future - to set up the elearning course first, as a placeholder for the recording of the ILT and mark it as equivalent in advance of the ILT sessions, so that when people attend and are marked has having completed the ILT, the system will trigger to mark the “elearning course” that will ultimately host the session recording, as complete.

This seems like a lot of workarounds just to make a recording of an ILT session available after the fact, which is probably a pretty common use case, so I’m wondering if this is really the only way to accomplish what I’m looking to do. 

@Bfarkas Unless I’m misunderstanding your suggestion for @pross I believe the setting you’re recommending is only available for webinars, not ILT sessions.  Below are the completion options for ILT sessions, whereas under this tab of a Webinar session there is an option to set completion based on watching the recording instead.

You can do it in a classroom one, here is a session within a classroom type course using attendance:

Then when making the event, there is the option to ‘Mark the session as attended if user watches recording’:

I think your screen shot is from a session with an Evaluation configuration.

You can do it in a classroom one, here is a session within a classroom type course using attendance:

Then when making the event, there is the option to ‘Mark the session as attended if user watches recording’:

I think your screen shot is from a session with an Evaluation configuration.

@Bfarkas Interesting - that will probably help others, thank you. It looks like my options are a little different from yours, probably because we are using Docebo through Dayforce. On my platform we have to choose whether a new course will be elearning, ILT, or webinar right at the beginning of course creation and that limits the options we see at the session/event creating stage. 

It looks like you’ve got the option to choose Venue or Video Conference tool at the Session Creation stage, and since you’ve selected Video Conference Tool rather than Venue it gives you the option to mark attendance complete when the learner views the recording only. My guess would be that if you instead choose Venue, you won’t have those same Attendance options because the system assumes you won’t have a recording when your session is in a classroom/venue and not delivered via video conference.

In our case, we did both. We had the session live in a venue and we simultaneously allowed people to join virtually using Microsoft Teams, which was recorded. That made the sessions difficult to set up in Dayforce, because they were neither fully ILTs (venue based) or Webinars (video conference based), and I suppose that’s the root of my problem here. I guess we were trying to do something unusual, or more unusual than I initially thought.

@FionaMacelli So the classroom is the ILT choice, the names get used pretty interchangeably in around the system.

Yes, you are right the recording option is under the video conference, but you can choose both video conference and in person for the same event and then leverage the best of both if needed. Have done that, used custom video tool and just put a quick webpage giving folks information about the venue instead of a video conference link. So that sounds like exactly what you are going for, check both location and video conference tool:

The settings difference looks like a different grading type for your session level, looks like your in evaluation based instead of attendance based: