Dynamic Deadline

• 1 February 2024
  • 13 replies

When set to 1 is the Dynamic Deadline 24 hours prior to start time for the event or is it 12:01 the day before?

13 replies

Ran a few tests and it’s 24 hours from start of event.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

It’s based on “days” so 1 would be 1 day before the start

Nope, Irnlab, I tested it - it’s 24 hours.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

right so, 1 day = 24 hours but you can only input a “1” for 24 hours.

@lrnlab Am I safe to assume that if my class started at 8:00 AM Tuesday and I wanted enrollment to end on Friday, I would set my days to 3, which would be Sat, Sun, Mon? 

If so, would the cutoff time default to 11:59 PM Fri, or to the time of the scheduled class, 8:00 AM Friday?  

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@lrnlab Am I safe to assume that if my class started at 8:00 AM Tuesday and I wanted enrollment to end on Friday, I would set my days to 3, which would be Sat, Sun, Mon? 

If so, would the cutoff time default to 11:59 PM Fri, or to the time of the scheduled class, 8:00 AM Friday?  

Good question...I always assumed it was dynamic to the start time of the session so in your case, 3 days before the start at 8 AM on Friday. The KB Article just says days so it’s not entirely clear.

@lrnlab thanks for your quick response. We are getting ready to roll this out, so we will test and see. I will add an update when we have an answer. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

great...probably worth testing so we can get a definitive answer. Thanks for doing that.

@lrnlab I was finally able to test this and here is what I found. 

When adding the number of days to your deadline, you will want to take the actual cutoff day and the day of class into consideration.

For example, I have a class on March 27 that I did not want anyone to be able to enroll in starting today. So, I set my dynamic deadline for 9 days, which added today and the day of class into the equation. 

If I wanted to keep enrollment open until the EOD, I would set it for 8 days, which would include tomorrow up to, and including, the day of class.

Once the class is at the deadline, it will not show as an available enrollment option.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @deajam not sure I follow your explanation...the dynamic deadline does not “open” registrations from a specific number of days before the event, instead it prevents enrolments x number of days before the start of the session...is that how it worked you when you tested it?

If you want to only allow registrations from a specific date you may want to look at these options under the “enrolments” tab of a course:

@lrnlab I apologize for the confusion, yes I was attempting to create a hard stop for enrollments, not create a time frame for open enrollments. 

This may be more info than you need, but hopefully will help make sense. 

I went this route because we have four sessions on a weekly basis: same time, same days of week, etc. The participants are the only thing that change, so we duplicate the session build. 

To ensure the roster is accurate and we do not have any surprises show up in class, we have to place an enrollment hard stop on Friday evening since the facilitators prep for the sessions on Mondays and Tuesdays. 

It seems as if I went the way you mention above, I would have to edit each session then add the open enrollment date, which would ultimately create more work for me. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Since the Session deadline can only be set inside a session, you would have to open each one to update it.

I pulled the sample file used to create sessions via CSV import and can see there is an option to set the enrolment deadline. Haven't tried it to update existing sessions but it may work. If you have a lot of sessions and this works, it might be the solution you need.

@lrnlab TBH I have never used the CSV import process. I duplicate directly from the session itself. When I do this, it allows me to keep all fields the same including the enrollment deadline. The session frequency is what sets the date, so there is nothing for me to edit once I duplicate the session. 

This works great for us, but I will look into the CSV import process to see if that will be beneficial.