Question

External course completion without uploading certificate

• 16 February 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

We have a large number of external courses where a certificate is issued by the training provider. We can upload these certificates using ‘external activities’. However we are being told and I cannot find anything that tells me different that we are not able to link these external activities to the courses we initially enrolled the users onto. We can maybe live with this but our biggest problem which I hoping someone has a suggestion for is that we can complete the course without uploading the external certificate. What we would like is for the course to remain open and user not to be able to complete until the certificate has been uploaded. These courses are compliant and saying a user has complete without the certification is a massive risk for us. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

One option would be to add an Assignment learning object, and ask users to upload the certificate there. Then someone will have to review and approve the assignment to mark the course as completed.

Userlevel 1

Thanks, we have explored that option and that would mean the user logging in and uploading their certification. What we have is Power Users completing off the external courses for a group of users who have attended an external course (field based staff) and need to upload the certificates to store in the system. We know we can upload them in the external activities but means no link between the actual course and the certificates.

We are running in to a similar problem. We have a checklist that is completed by the instructor which needs to be uploaded for joint commission requirements. We would like the power users to be able to upload the file before the course can be marked complete and the certificate generated, without ever requiring the user to login. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

found this that comes close to what you need...