Extract a storyline file from a zipped SCORM

• 11 January 2024
  • 6 replies

Hello Community,

I need to update a test made in Storyline but I don’t have the original source file (to be clear, the one with the pink icon), only the zipped scorm that I’ve uploaded on the LMS. 
Now, the scorm works fine but I need to change some settings, how can I do? 

Any help would be truly appreciated

Have a good day!!

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

try this:

it will download the published package so you might be able to open it in Storyline to edit.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

It’s not possible, I’m afraid, at least in Storyline itself. Over at Articulate’s E-Learning Heroes community, what you’re describing has been likened to un-baking cookies so you can mix in an ingredient that was forgotten the first time around.

That said, you mentioned that you want to change a setting (as opposed to content). In which case, I’m not sure, but it might be possible to do that by editing the contents of the zipped files directly. This is by most accounts a crazy thing to be doing, but here are a couple of thoughts as to how I would go about trying this out:

1. Create a new, test Storyline project, and publish it to SCORM with the exact same settings as the project that you want to fix.
  2. Now publish it again with the correct settings.
  3. Unzip each folder and then use something like Visual Studio Code to compare the two folders (this VS Code Extension can help). I personally have no idea how many differences you’ll find, but if there are, say, only a couple of lines of code that have changed in the whole folder, perhaps you can make that same change to your original SCORM package and then re-zip it. (The more changes you find, the more I’d say it’s not worth the effort.)

It’s extremely important that you take care not to overwrite the original SCORM in Docebo unless you are absolutely certain that the updated SCORM would work correctly. So make a new course in Docebo for the sake of testing this, and/or use your sandbox account. And save an untouched copy of the working SCORM somewhere safe, just in case.

And if you do try this, and if by some miracle it actually works, please let me know!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

How big and/or complex of a test are we talking about?

I realize there’s a line to be crossed there but a part of me says to consider just remaking it so that you can have a source file. Might it take less time to do than figuring out how not to do it?

I admit that the thought of spending 20 minutes looking for the remote when you could have just pressed the button on the TV did cross my mind.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Critical to get those decompile files @piacol91. Good luck - will also listen to your adventures. You may be able to find the question by luck and reviewing the html / xml files. but any changes that need a change to the xml ims.manifest? And I would like to say all bets are off for ya - in layman’s terms…you could try the team over at Rustici software. They were part of the folks that helped with building the standard years ago.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

How big and/or complex of a test are we talking about?

I realize there’s a line to be crossed there but a part of me says to consider just remaking it so that you can have a source file. Might it take less time to do than figuring out how not to do it?

I admit that the thought of spending 20 minutes looking for the remote when you could have just pressed the button on the TV did cross my mind.

Yes  Greg is 100% on here, and sometimes the added pain to the business (even if it is your time) makes them take some retention procedures a little more seriously.

Thats true that without storyline file you cannot do much.

However in case you want to make a minor edit to existing multimedia or if you want to extract all your media files easily you can use tool like https://doctorelearning.com 

Also you can use it to compress you existing SCORM file drastically.

Hope this helps.