Question

Getting organized at Central Repository

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi,

I am gathering ideas to have our Central Repository get organized. Any suggestions? I can’t seem to find an option to create a sub-category? Please advise. 

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @teresa.mycity.org 

You should be able to create a sub category by selecting an existing category and then clicking the button below.

Userlevel 3

Daniel’s right. You need to click the category to create the subcategory. In terms of tips, I’d say not to get overly detailed in your structure. I got very granular when I started and then changed that after about 6 months because it was making things too complex. Weve setup our structure to have a primary category for each region with a subcategory for each department since our LXP is just for internal use currently. We then use naming conventions to keep the content within the category organized. This seems to work out well for us since it lets each region manage their assets without potentially overwriting another teams work.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks @Daniel, and @rich.schmick for your tips!! I just started it and am planning to categorize according to the Taxonomy at Docebo marketplace for now, and see how that goes...

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@teresa.mycity.org - it may sound redundant...but names from your catalogs may be good categories as well.

If you are thinking about deep cataloging? There is a triplet of detail that can help you get back to something that I have seen work at a large organization.

And so, for your consideration? Consider the proposal - using the triplet of location/topic/role to help you with your categories.

BRLI - COMPLIANCE - ALL….passes along some great shorthand for you to work back from.

It is just a different thought….good luck with your travels on this one. It DOES make a difference being dilegent up front with detail like this.

Userlevel 3
Badge

@dklinger Thank you for sharing your experience and those are great considerations. Right now, we are actually sharing our platform with multiple charities, but we do sometimes offer same eLearning courses/training materials to their charity catalogs. One thing I noticed is that once I created the sub-categories in CLOR, they will show under course management as well, but without the actual training/eLearning materials pulled. The only way is to pull the eLearning courses manually to the sub-categories right? Is there a faster way to pull multiple courses to the same sub-category? Appreciate any advise!