Best Answer

How can I tell the difference between users who were assigned a course and those who self-enrolled?

Userlevel 4
Badge

There are courses in our compliance training catalog that are required for certain individuals and optional for others.  However, when I’m reporting completion data, I need to be able to differentiate between those who were assigned the course and those who enrolled on their own.  How can I filter out just the ones that are required to take the training?

icon

Best answer by lrnlab 20 May 2022, 17:20

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

HI @jdclark2 other than looking through the audit repots there is no direct way I know of to see this kind of data. Perhaps you can define rules on your courses to better control how users are assigned. For example, your compliance courses could be assigned solely via enrolments rules and not appear in any catalogs whereas your courses that are open to free enrolment are placed in your catalogs.

Userlevel 4
Badge

HI @jdclark2 other than looking through the audit repots there is no direct way I know of to see this kind of data. Perhaps you can define rules on your courses to better control how users are assigned. For example, your compliance courses could be assigned solely via enrolments rules and not appear in any catalogs whereas your courses that are open to free enrolment are placed in your catalogs.

Thanks for your quick reply!  Since we need to make the same courses available to the other users as optional training, hiding them isn’t an option,  

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

OK, you could still use enrollment rules via group to assign users and that group would be your “enrolled by admin” group you could extract and then compare to your overall course report.

Userlevel 4
Badge

OK, you could still use enrollment rules via group to assign users and that group would be your “enrolled by admin” group you could extract and then compare to your overall course report.

Right, we use enrollment rules to make the assignments.  How do I go about extracting those “enrolled by admin”?  I’m talking about anywhere from 3,000 to 5,000 users, so manual pulling our matching is definitely out.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

If your enrollment rule uses a group, you can download the group members into an excel file, then run your course report and match up them up using a VLOOKUP in excel. It’s a quick and easy way to identify who’s sort of the group, i.e.: those assigned by an admin. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

@lrnlab Great idea!  I do use groups for several assignments and moving the other assignments to use groups would probably solve some other problems too.  Thanks!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

yay! glad to help 😀

Userlevel 4

We created an Enrollment Additional Field named “Enrollment Type” with a possible value of “Assigned”. The default value set by the system is “-” or none, which we equate to self enrolled. We enroll the assigned learners first and update their Enrollment Type to “Assigned” by selecting all the enrolled users and selecting “Edit Enrollment” from the Choose Action menu. If the training is assigned to someone later, we manually mark the Enrollment Type as “Assigned”.

You should be able to set the Enrollment Additional Field when you enroll users via CSV, but we’ve had problems with that in the past and found this process is cleaner (and easier).

We also have an “Attended Webinar” Enrollment Additional Field to track whether or not someone attended the original webinar for training based on a live presentation.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

We can create new drop down field “Enrollment Type” using  Enrollment Additional Fields tab in course management page.

Add element as “Enroll by admin” and “Self-enroll” in dropdown field and keep the field as mandatory.

So whenever, admin or learners enroll the session/courses the field will be updated & we can extract the user data as per enroll type. 

Userlevel 2

@Baskaran venugopal   would that option still make SELF ENROLLED learners get past due notifications if they don’t complete the course? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@maricela.jimenez emails/notification will get triggered based on the due date settings not the "Enroll type”. I hope 100% past due notifications should trigger to the learners those who exceeds the due date for the course.