Best Answer

how do you use Docebo for an On-boarding/Induction training?

• 19 May 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi All, 

I am wondering how do you utilise Docebo for an on-boarding/induction training. 

I want to make a part of the on-boarding training digital and create some e-learning course but also want to mix it with ITLs.  Generally the idea is to assign to each new employee a set of courses which that person has to go through: a couple of eLearning courses and ILTs sessions, in the specific order (so prerequisites will have to be set). I am wondering if there is any way to an ITL sessions once and just use them each time when the on-boarding training will have to be run? So I don’t have to waste time to create the same ITL each time?

Do you have any experience with it? if so how did you handle it?

icon

Best answer by Cindy McElhinney 28 May 2021, 20:06

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi ckujawski

First we use the automation app to pull a report daily from our HR system that includes our additional fields we have in Docebo that automatically adds new hires, terminations, updates existing employees in Docebo. In our additional fields we have created  are:  job title, department  name, city, state, country, job classification (non-exempt, exempt, supervisor, manager, director, etc.), worker category (full time, part time, seasonal, temp), is manager (yes/no), hire date, rehire date, termination date. The additional fields on an employee are automatically updated from the automation app that pulls a report daily from our HR system. 

We’ve also manually created Automatic Groups in Docebo based on the same additional fields. We have groups based on their job classification, worker category, department names and states. So if someone meets the criteria of an automatic group, they are added to that group.

We also created Enrollment Rules based on these Automatic Groups. So if someone new comes on board, it automatically assigns them our required training courses or Learning Plan. Also if someone moves from one department to another or if someone job classification changes, it will automatically assign them specific courses.

When you create your learning plan, you can set it to be taken in a specific order. As for ILT sessions, you have to create a new session each time with a new date and time.

Then we have created Notifications, when the new user is setup on the Docebo platform, it automatically send them a welcome email with their username and password and where to find their assigned required training. Also when they enroll in the ILT session, it provides them an email with an attached calendar invite, so they can add it to their internet calendar so they do not forget to attend. We also have notifications going out on the 15th and 30th of each month to users to remind them to complete their required training. This is all automatically done.

I hope this helps!

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @Swatson

Thank you so much for your response, that’s really useful stuff.

I was thinking exactly to create a Learning on-boarding path and set it up in a very similar way as you outlined. Also I thought it might be good to create a specific page for those who are doing the on-boarding training so they will have just a set of courses which they have to focus on and will not be distracted by the rest of catalogues or channels. What do you think about it? 

Thanks!

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi ckujawski,

I think other Docebo clients may create a specific page for on-boarding training, but we have the new user come to the landing page. They just scroll down to My Learning (see below) and it will have their onboarding training under the Not Started tab. In the welcome email they receive it will tell them where their onboarding training is at.

However, we did create specific landing pages for our internal users and external users, which is great. We did create other specific pages on the Menu for our power users and management (which is new for internal management leadership). 

I hope this helps!

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thank you so much @Swatson for your insight! Really appreciate you sharing this. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

@ckujawski I think you got some great ideas from @Swatson. Ours is probably more simplistic but I’ll tell you what we do if it’s helpful to the continued discussion. So we onboard a group of college students (called WINGS Leaders) every semester to work in our K-5 afterschool programs. They get three days of online training and some ILTs. We don’t have integration with our HR system but I get a spreadsheet of all those being onboarded and import them as new users in the platform. They belong to a specific branch and get auto-enrolled into 3 Learning Plans that contain each the day’s worth of courses that they have to complete in order. At the end of each day they are given an assignment. They receive a notification at the end of the day to complete the assignment. We don’t use assignments in the course but rather have the assignment posted as an asset to the channel as you’ll see below. The assignment requires the learner to post a public response to the questions and they are to engage with the instructor and other WINGS Leaders in this way to learn from each other. They have a few channels with some additional content that can help them learn more in their first week of training. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @Cindy McElhinney thank you so much for your response and insight, that’s really useful. Similar like you, I am creating user more manually (via CSV or creating a single user) than Swatson, I also receive an excel sheet. 

I really like the idea with the learning plans for specifics days of the on-boarding training. How do you deal with ILTs Cindy? Are they a part of the learning plan and do you create a new ILT session for each on-boarding training or maybe you have some workaround? I have usual 2-3 new joiners each week so creating new ILTs for each week is painful… just wondering if there is any solution which I can use to save a bit of time. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

@ckujawski I am glad you found something helpful there. So ILTs. Yes, we have them for the WINGS Leaders (WLs); however, we are not currently scheduling them in the platform for a few reasons but mostly because we have Program Managers who each have a team of WLs and they decide where (virtual or in person) and when they will run their ILTs. As you said, adding the ILTs (or changing the ILTs) is painful and it just wasn’t going to work having me try to work with the PMs to get them in the system or to get the PMs to do it in the system. Instead the PMs scheduled their own Zoom meetings informally and ad hoc and used Zoom reports to track attendance. Covid made that more possible because we were running limited programs and didn’t onboard over 100 WINGS Leaders like we usually do. Next fall, when we will be running in full force, I am going to have to get the ILTs scheduled in the LMS. I’m hoping it will be easier because the ILTs will run every day and all WLs will attend the same sessions. I’m guessing we will record the sessions so that any WLs that comes on board later or misses a session can watch the sessions and/or we will run make-up sessions.