Question

ILT courses - sessions and events

• 30 July 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I feel like such a noob. I’m looking at how we can use Docebo for both classroom and webinar sessions and I am getting totally bamboozled as to what the idea behind ILT courses is and how best to use it.

We have a group of people receiving training from us across several dates throughout the next year.

At the moment, I’ve created a session for each component:

-a half hour meeting for planning via zoom is in a session with one event.

-a four-hour zoom meeting on a different day is in one session with one event.

-a three day in-person course is in one session with three events, one for each day.

When I open the course, it only shows the first session and I have to use the drop-down to select different sessions. That feels counterintuitive. I want learners to see what is coming up throughout the whole course, not just the first session. Is there a better way to set the session/events up? Is there an overview page I am missing? What’s the best use for sessions versus events?

Thanks for all advice!

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

In your case, I think what you want to do is set up one single session and have that session contain all your events

Alternatively, you could create three different courses. You’d then have to put them in a learning plan. But this would probably be more cumbersome. 

The way we have it set up, our learners only attend one session and they pick the session that best fits their schedule. Each session contains same six events. So while the events make up the individual components of the course, each session is identical to the next. 

I agree that this is a bit confusing. For me, the words “event” and “session” are interchangeable, so I had a hard time understanding which is which. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi all, if you think of the session as the ‘bucket’ that contains the timed elements, or events it may be easier to make sense of it all...The session is essentially the container for the in-person (classroom) and virtual meetings, or events...hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Agree with Anders, you went about it one route, except in your current setup you probably wanted each of those types to be in a different course, and then use a learningplan or channels to show users all that they have. Or you can put all the events into one session for this and it should work. Multiple sessions for a single course are not supported well in the system. Switching is annoying and confusing and you lose the history as they do so.