Question

Inconsistent display of locked courses in global search results for power users

• 4 January 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi All, I want to ensure I understand the global search results my Power Users are experiencing. 

Scenario

Power Users have access/visibility to select courses managed via a Learning Plan as part of their Resources. They can enroll users and report on these select courses as part of their Permissions.

Courses are configured to NOT allow self-enrollments.

Learners only receive results for the courses they are enrolled in.

Experience

By default, when using the global search on the site, the Power Users receive all the courses they have permission to in the results, however they are locked. I assume this is because, by default they are NOT enrolled in the courses and self-enrollment is not allowed. Once enrolled in a course, that course is unlocked.

Inconsistent Display Issue?We are finding that some locked courses display the lock and others do not. See screenshot below:

Search results of non-enrolled courses:

Those that display the lock cannot be selected. Those that do not display a lock can be selected, but then show a “Locked” button on the enrollment page. See screenshot below:

Non-enrolled courses without a lock when selected from search results:

Has anyone else experienced these inconsistent display results?

Is this perhaps a configuration or setup difference on my part, or an issue with Docebo?

Thanks!

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

To follow up, when playing around with the Course Management / Advanced Settings / Catalog Options settings I found that if you select Self-enrollments are available the Course Enrollment Policy options then appear. If you select Self-enrollment and then change the Course Enrollment back to Self-enrollments are not available the lock is removed from the course in the search results, but it’s still locked. 

So it appears the inconsistence could be at least partially due to the Course Enrollment Policy selection even is the Course Self-Enrollment is set to not available. The good news is self-enrollment is not available overall, but bad news is it can cause a discrepancy in the display to users. 

NOTE: This theory doesn’t appear to be 100% as when checking the settings they don’t appear to follow this exactly. I just found that when changing and saving the above appears to be true. I did change the settings for some of the courses initially when we first configured. I’ll keep an eye on what happens by default now that we’ve confirmed the settings as we add new courses.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@dave.cerrone Did you get chance to raise an issue to Docebo technical support? 

Just now, I checked the scenario’s & I get inconsistencies only in visibility of course in Catalog’s...

Ex: If I choose option “Show course in Internal/External catalog” & Course self-enrollment are not available - In this case, course is not visible at all in Course catalogs & global search bar (non-enrolled users POV). But the expectation is “Course should be visible in Catalog with Locked”

If I choose option “Show course in Internal/External catalog” & Course self-enrollment are available > Only admins can enroll - This situation works well, Course is visible and showing as Locked as expected.

@Bfarkas @lrnlab  Have you ever faced this course visibility issue?

Hi @dave.cerrone ,

Are the locked courses in “ Under Maintenance “ status instead of “ Published “?   If I recall, unpublished courses will show the lock. 

Best regards,

Katherine

Userlevel 2
Badge

@dave.cerrone I’m curious if there was any further investigation into this by Docebo? I am having the issue where courses I am enrolled in are showing as locked when searching.