Instructors see catalog of modules, but don't want them on their homepage, is this possible?

Userlevel 5
Badge

Here’s what I’m trying to do. Imagine you’re an instructor who can teach multiple standard programs. Your home page only displays unique/custom programs (e.g. client wants it delivered in 1 week instead of 4). 
Now imagine sidebar tab that houses all the other 10+ standard learning plans that you can teach. Think of it as a library of resources you can access. (I’ve set it up as a catalog.) 

Here’s my problem, 

When I tested that ‘library/resources’ page by clicking one of the standard catalog-courses, that Learning plan program now shows up on my main page where all my custom programs reside. 

Is there any way to separate this? To keep a ‘library’ page separate when people click into the LPs?
Any workarounds that people can think of?

Much appreciated.  

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Not entirely sure I follow this, some images of the process and what you are trying to avoid to go with the description might help

Userlevel 5
Badge

Sure! So this instructor is teaching a program for a particular client who wants the delivery to be different than our standard programs. Same material but delivered in 1 week instead of four. So we consider this to be a custom program which is why we put their logo as their thumbnail:

Then what I did was create another sidebar page full of our company’s standard programs (so all the thumbnails are inhouse) and I had put them into catalogs where all of our instructors could eadily access them in case they’re called to teach a standard program. Example:

My problem is that if the instructor clicks on (example) the Speaking as a Leader catalog above, it then populates to the instructor’s home page and I don’t want that as their homepage will soon be populated with all our IP and that could mean 20+ programs. I want to keep the cataloge separate. 

Is this possible?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

following

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Well, thank you, that is much clearer on the problem…unfortunately nothing is coming to mind…going to keep noodling though as it is interesting, maybe others will save the day for us all. 

p.s. love the design and image work in your platform. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Nicole Have you checked to see if you are enrolled (as an admin) into this LP or one of its courses?

What is the widget that is holding the “Learning Paths I’m Facilitating” on the dashboard?

Maybe it would be good to see the Content tab of the page so we can see the widgets.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Learning Path’s I’m Facilitating page widgets is the Learning Paths and Courses

Userlevel 5
Badge

The SLX and SPARKS widget is a separate page with the Catalog widget:

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Nicole I think you’re going to need to define a specific catalog for that widget, rather than leave it open to all. The widget is doing exactly what you are asking it to do, which is not what you want :-) Means you’ll likely need to build a catalog of just your specialized versions. You’ll want one catalog for each client, but you can list multiple catalogs for that widget. Or put all of the specialized LPs into the same catalog, and leave the instructor to locate the correct one for the client.

Userlevel 5
Badge

@KMallette thanks for your idea. Unfortunately, we have more clients with specialized clients than widgets available and we have over 30 facilitators… I could see this being a mess after a while. Hmm… 

So I Created a new Catalog widget, added a fake learning path to it, my subscriber is all the facilitators:   1 x catalog widget contains 1 x LP

Then I logged in as my facilitator (in a separate browser). I clicked on the fake LP, it asks me to enroll (I wish it wouldn’t do that). 

But then, when I go back to the home page, the fake LP is there…. 

I guess in order to house all the standard programs we run they’d have to have a separate Menu altogether. 

I guess there’s no way that I can add menu’s together is there? LIke I can create a Library Menu and link that menu and its pages to the Facilitator’s Menu and its pages…

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

You can link to pages on other menus, you just have to make sure the user in menu A technically has rights to  menu B.

Check out this thread on it:

Userlevel 5
Badge

@Bfarkas thanks for this. I’ve been working away on this over the weekend and I feel like this should be doable but it’s not working. When I link the facilitators to a ‘library’ menu and it’s page, the same learning paths show up on the facilitator’s home page as the library page. It really-really wants to link learning plans which I get.

What I need is the ability to put any learning path I want on the library menu/page but without having people subscribe to it. I allow who I want to access the page and they can open the learning path they want to view it, but not subscribe to it. Becuase when they subscribe (like a catalog), it then shows up on their facilitator’s home page.