Is any one facing the email notification delay issue recently?

• 2 November 2021
  • 21 replies

Userlevel 1

We found that it takes from 30 mins to 2 hours for users to receive email notification after the event is triggered.

Is anyone facing the same issue?

Thanks.

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@zhou80bin this happens from time to time. When I observe irregularities in delivering email notifications I always submit a ticket to support, and then they do some magic and things are getting better for a few weeks or months. Interestingly, those issues are often specific to one or two types of notifications that are getting delayed or not delivered at all, while others are working well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Agree that notifications are sometimes finicky…another spot you can check is with your IT group in case some emails may be getting caught in SPAM filters and later released (Barracuda security sometimes does that as it learns what not to block).

Userlevel 1

@zhou80binthis happens from time to time. When I observe irregularities in delivering email notifications I always submit a ticket to support, and then they do some magic and things are getting better for a few weeks or months. Interestingly, those issues are often specific to one or two types of notifications that are getting delayed or not delivered at all, while others are working well.

Based on our testing recently the email notification delay applies to all the events.

Userlevel 1

Agree that notifications are sometimes finicky…another spot you can check is with your IT group in case some emails may be getting caught in SPAM filters and later released (Barracuda security sometimes does that as it learns what not to block).

Thanks for reminder, we had checked the Junk and SPAM. They are fine.

Userlevel 6

We also have issues with certain email events being delayed. Support tracks the issue, but notifications needs a big overhaul. We find that even when setup properly, they do not have a 100% accuracy rate.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Yep. I setup a course and deployed learning to 250 some odd folk. I do think it is partially based on instance load….no?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

We’ve also noticed this over the past couple of weeks, but there’s nothing repeatable and it seems random. We were told to submit a ticket with the details as it’s somewhat of a known issue. 

We’re also dealing with the same issue. Created a ticket and there was never resolution. They can’t replicate the same thing. 

The notifications continued to be rolling out for 4-5 days!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

+1 again - we just press the button to trigger a manual reminder - and depending on the notification and time? Sometimes the system spins instead of sending….I recorded a 45 minute delay

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

We’re also dealing with the same issue. Email notification from yesterday (11/15) and today (11/16) are really bad and taking more than just an hour. Some from yesterday (11/15) are still not coming through. I am not sure if it is because we have Outlook, but something needs to be addressed here besides logging a ticket.

Userlevel 6

It’s an issue with the core function of the module. Accuracy related issues will continue until the module is brought out of Legacy

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

This issue appears to be alive and well.

I created an email notification for testing last night. I decided to have one be sent to our onboarding team when a comment was posted in a course. It was set to schedule at the time of the event and went to 5 people.
I was CCd on all notifications.

I posted a comment at 1542 hours.

Email 1 received at 1829 hours
Email 2 received at 2005 hours
Email 3 received at 2208 hours
Email 4 received at 2251 hours
Email 5 received at 2319 hours

I do not yet have ticket making enabled.

Does this issue persist even after you switch to your own domain?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@gstager yes.  We run into this occasionally, and it is hard to put in a ticket for it, because you can never pinpoint when or why it happens, and half the time when the ticketing team tests it, the notification seems to work fine. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

We constantly experience this issue and we also have a ticket open. I performed company-wide learning plan enrollments yesterday and it took 8 hours to deliver the emails. Support has recommended that we configure the SPF, MX, and DKIM record to be set up in order to launch a formal investigation. Since this is way beyond my technical knowledge, I have opened a ticket with our IT department. 

Adding in a +1 here. We have had the same SPF and DKIM requirements made to us, but our IT department has found out those settings are not relevant. In the last communication we had with Docebo, we were told there should be a dedicated processing queue for immediate notifications, such as OTPs, vs. notifications using the same queue as the platform (Which wouldn’t be processed if a large number of jobs were in there at the time). But there has been no forward motion on that dedicated queue.

I do hope Docebo can make that ‘Fastpass’ email queue for these time-sensitive notifications, at least! And soon!

Userlevel 3

@kferguson @cathyp FYI - we seems to have similar issues from time to time.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Is this happening again with anyone else (March 11, 2022)? 

I am not receiving notifications from an ILT session enrollment, and my folks need the email to be sent for a training that begins on Monday.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Annarose.Peterson - I want to say the normal hang time is what we see - based on time of day and current background jobs load? We have seen delayed notifications for as much as 20-30 minutes any given day.

Userlevel 3

I noticed a massive delay on 3/11 and gave up waiting for a test notification after what seemed like a few hours. I’ve seen notifications flow between instant delivery to 30 minutes with a few larger delays like the one on the 11th since we moved to running the tool in production in mid January. 

I’m sure it’s a back end delay affecting all or batches of customers but haven’t gotten a satisfactory answer. I believe notifications will be updated sometime this year and hope there will be back-end improvements to eliminate the delays.

For what it’s worth, we have SPF, DKIM, and MX properly configured.  

Userlevel 1

We are seeing a delay today as well as other days - sometimes I get a notification a day later.  We also see when there is a delay in notifications our scheduled jobs are also delayed.  Has anyone else noticed the two linked?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I realize this is an old thread but just in case people might still be experiencing issues there have been some improvements to notifications that require the configuration of MX, SPF and DKIM to ensure that notifications will be delivered. That being said we do experience load issues at times that can still delay notifications but I believe that a lot of the issues comments in this thread might have been related to this requirement for optimization. 

Here is a post that covers those optimizations and what’s required to ensure notifications will be delivered.